I am an Italian Citizen!

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

I am an Italian Citizen!

Postby Davide » Wed May 02, 2007 6:54 pm

Hello everyone!

Well, today I received an official letter from the Italian Consulate that my process for recognition of Italian Citizenship has been finalized. I was informed, that " as an Italian Citizen" (This is the first time the Consulate used these words), I was now required to fill out the forms and register at the Consulate's "servizio anagrafe" as the first step in order to apply for my Italian passport.

After reading about all the difficulty others have had in their own process, I have been very fortunate in that I have not experienced any major setbacks. In fact, in my case, recognition of Italian Citizenship was granted in a very short period of time.

I believe the particular Consulate and its staff, plus the number of cases it must investigate, really determines how long, and in some cases, how successful the process is.

Here is a brief outline of my case.

1. October 9, 2006 first contacted Consulate
2. March 5, 2007 presented photo copies of all documentation to the Consulate
3. April 16, 2007 presented official documents with apostilles to Consulate.
4. April 27, 2007 recognition of Italian citizenship granted.

To all those who are still in the process, don't give up. All the effort is worth it! VIVA L'ITALIA!

Davide
Last edited by Davide on Wed May 02, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Davide

Postby Em » Wed May 02, 2007 7:17 pm

Super news Davide; your waiting time was amazingly short. Congratulations! :D
Em

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » Wed May 02, 2007 8:00 pm

Congrats, Davide!

Couple of questions:

1) Which consulate did you deal with?

2) Did all of your US documents originate within the territory covered by the consulate? Or, did some of them come from other parts of the country? Example: you filed your application in NYC but some of your required birth or death certificates came from events which occured in Florida.
AnotherCitizenToBe

To answer your questions...

Postby Davide » Wed May 02, 2007 9:56 pm

Since I live in Texas, I applied through the Consolato Generale d'Italia, Houston. All my documents were from outside of Texas, and accepted in English. No appointments at the Consolato were required, everything was done through official documents, and following their "guidelines" to the letter. I will, however, have to go to the Consolato for my Italian Passport.

Granted there are not that many Italians in Texas, however, as it has been stated in other posts, the Houston Consolato is just great!

Davide
Davide

Postby Mentor » Thu May 03, 2007 6:31 am

Ciao, Davide. Congratulations. My process was also very short and similar to yours. I applied in May 2001 and had my passport in November same year. All of my documents originated in the jursdiction of another consulate and all were accepted in English and mailed by courrier (Federal Express). The only time I visited the Consulate was to apply for the passport and then again to sign for it when I picked it up.

By the way, Davide, since you applied outside of the European Union, please let the people here know what, if anything, your consulate tells you about purchasing a Bollo stamp for your passport when you pick it up. My guess is that the word "Bollo" will not be mentioned.
Mentor

Postby cristina_siena » Thu May 03, 2007 7:36 am

Mentor wrote: By the way, Davide, since you applied outside of the European Union, please let the people here know what, if anything, your consulate tells you about purchasing a Bollo stamp for your passport when you pick it up. My guess is that the word "Bollo" will not be mentioned.
Carol, you do not need to ask about the bollo when receiving a NEW passport. It is only when you update it yearly that you need to pay the tax for using it.
cristina_siena

Postby Mentor » Thu May 03, 2007 8:07 am

Davide, as a new Italian passport holder, you should know that there is no requirement to update your passport every year. Instead, you must renew it every five years and there is no charge for the renewal. You can travel anywhere in the world with your passport and you are not required to pay any taxes for it as long as you are not a legal resident of the European Union. When you apply for your passport, you might ask your consulate in Houston to verify this fact and then report back to us here. Thanks.
Mentor

Postby palex » Thu May 03, 2007 9:51 am

Hi Davide,
Congratulations! This question is related to another current thread... I was wondering if they required you to submit a Declaration of Living Ascendant form with your other documents at Houston... thanks! :)
palex

Postby Tiffany » Fri May 04, 2007 12:28 am

Davide, if you are even remotely interested in what Mentor/Roberta/CJ is talking about, here is a thread from the last time she went off on this topic: http://www.italylink.com/phpboard/viewtopic.php?t=1079

Congratulations on your citizenship. Houston has to be the fastest consulate in America. Perhaps I should move ;)
Tiffany

Postby Mentor » Fri May 04, 2007 7:01 am

Naturalization through marriage cases for Americans who do not live in Italy are a lesser priority at any consulate. Juris sanguinis always takes precedence.
Mentor

Declaration of Living Ascendant form

Postby Davide » Fri May 04, 2007 7:57 pm

In my case, there was no request to submit a Declaration of Living Ascendant Form. They only requested a notarized letter from the ascendant that he had never rejected his legal right to Italian Citizenship.

I hope this helps.

Davide
Davide

Postby Tiffany » Fri May 04, 2007 11:06 pm

Thanks Davide. I've been wondering whether or not Houston required living ascendants to formally apply as some consulates have in the past.

Mentor/CJ/Roberta - what does citizenship jure matrimonis vs citizenship jure sanguinis have to do with this thread? Stop trying to sidetrack things with your own agenda. If you think I care a wit, you're wasting your time. But before you go spreading your opinion, perhaps you should ask a consular official yourself. I thought as you did too, but when I spoke to the citizenship officer at SF about my case during the whole debacle last month and mentioned in passing that I wasn't in a hurry since I thought my case wasn't a priority, he told me that there was no difference in the priority assigned to jure sanguinis vs jure matrimonis.
Tiffany

Postby Mentor » Sat May 05, 2007 5:56 am

Thanks Davide, for the information. The fact that your living ascendant DID provide a notarized statement that he never renounced Italian citizenship is the reason you, yourself have also been recognized. If your ascendant did not sign, you would not be on your way to picking up your Italian passport.
Mentor

Postby Mentor » Sat May 05, 2007 6:04 am

The longer an Italian citizen has been married to a non-Italian spouse, the more priority that is given to the case. It's also a plus if there are children of the marriage. Other cases receive more scrutiny, for obvious reasons, and take longer to process. It works the exact same way in the USA when an American marries an immigrant.
Mentor

Hai ragione!

Postby Davide » Sun May 06, 2007 12:10 am

Yes, mentor you are correct. Without that notarized letter, I would not be on my way to pick up my passort. Hai proprio ragione, cento per cento!

Davide
Davide

Next

Return to Qualifying