Question...Please help...very Confused

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Question...Please help...very Confused

Postby geist1992 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:15 pm

I am confused. This is the situation. My grandfather was born in Italy and came here after WW2. My grandmother was a citizen of the US and had my father in the US while my grandfather was still in Italy. He came over to the US and became a citizen when my father was a baby. Do i qualify as an Italian citizen?
geist1992

Postby peggymckee » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:50 pm

Hi!

1. Your Grandfather is born in Italy.
2. Your grandparents marry in Italy. Your grandmother is a US citizen living in Italy.
3. She returns to the US & your father is born in the US.
4. Your Grandfather comes to the US & naturalizes after your father is born.

To me it seems clearcut that you are eligible. But perhaps you know something about your situation which makes you doubt it. Can you explain?

All the best, Peggy M
peggymckee

Postby geist1992 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:04 pm

No. I was just confused about the qualifications. I have been reading so much all day. I just was still unsure.
geist1992

Postby peggymckee » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:27 am

I can relate to that! I probably read the rules 10 times before I understood--and even then I had questions. Peg
peggymckee

Postby geist1992 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:52 am

Well..you seem to know about this stuff. Maybe you can help me with this. I fall into "Category #3". It says I need my paternal grandfathers birth certificate from Italy. I am assuming I have to contact the town he was from in Italy to get this? I know he has copies of his bc and my grandmothers, but these won't suffice, will they?
geist1992

Postby Em » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:52 am

Are they originals or certified copies? Either should do it. BTW, depending on the consulate, you may only need the documents from your grandfather's line.
Em

Postby geist1992 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:53 pm

it is the NYC consulate. I am going to see my grandfather tonight. I will see what he has. He is 90 now, so I am not sure what he has. If they originals or certified copies...do I send those to the consulate or make photocopies?
geist1992

Postby Em » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:43 pm

In NYC, you will need only the documents from the direct line. I'm guessing that your grandfather has an official copy, and this will work.

Do not send anything to the consulate. You take all the documents with you when you apply. You should make copies of all documents. They will keep the originals (and one copy) of all documents EXCEPT the Italian birth certificate. They return the original to you. (At least they did last year.) They may return the naturalization certificate as well, but I'm not sure since my son submitted the Petition and Oath.

You will need:

grandfather's Italian birth certificate, marriage certificate and naturalization papers.

fathers U.S. birth certificate and marriage certificate

your birth certificate (marriage and children's birth certificates if applicable)

All documents originating in the U.S. (except the naturalization certificate) will require an apostille.

Make an appointment now. You have very few documents to obtain, and there is a several-month waiting period at the consulate.
Em

Return to Qualifying