Page 1 of 1

Court Order to Change Names on Birth/Death Certificates

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:45 pm

I'd like to know if anyone has filed a Petition in NY State Supreme Court to have a name changed on a Vital Record. I'm trying to file a petition, and I'd like to know the format and if anyone found a lawyer willing to help on if they did it pro se.


PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:13 pm
by peggymckee
Hi Pat,
I used the Westchester County office of the self-represented (pro se) to get a court order for my certificate of no appeal--not for a name change issue.
Here's a link to the Office of the Self-Represented. Though they provide services for the poor, you do not have to be poor to use their services!
And here's a link that mentions changing a vital records and being self-represented together!

Good luck, Peg

Court Order

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:25 am
Hi Peggy,

I also got my certificate of no appeal myself. I've been to the NY Supreme Court office for pro se actions, and I've got all the forms. I just thought that someone in our group would have done one of these things. Actually, I need my original birth certificate (I was adopted). I've gotten a certified copy of my adoption records after filing a brief in Surrogate's Court (myself), but this involves serving two city agencies and getting an Index number. Probably I will attempt this myself since no attorney that I had contacted seems interested in doing this. We'll see what happens.


Re: Court Order

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:05 am
by peggymckee
NOLA wrote:this involves serving two city agencies and getting an Index number.
As part of getting my court order, I had to serve some papers on my ex-husband. But it was easy. Get a blank affidavit of service, fill it in, (except for signature) prepare the document to be served and place in an envelope--then have a friend take the envelope to the PO, mail it certified return receipt requested, and then have the friend sign and notarize the affidavit of service.

In other words, if you go pro se, you cannot do the service yourself, but preparing the letter for mailing isn't considered service--going to the PO and getting the postage and mailing the letter is considered service by a third party--and then the 3rd party signs the affidavit of service.

Getting an index number is also very easy--the county clerk can explain. I think it costs $200+ -- but cheaper than a lawyer! BTW, if you hired a lawyer s/he would also have to get an index number and would pass the charge on to you. An index # isn't an extra charge just for pro se folks. All the best, Peg