Please help, Do i qualify?

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Please help, Do i qualify?

Postby robv187 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:18 am

Hi, I am a canadian citizen, 19 years of age. My Grandmother and Grandfather are from Italy. My grandfather is now deceased, but my grandmother is still alive. They are both landed immigrants to Canada and have a permanent resident card for Canada. My Grandmother has her Italian Citizenship, always had it and is even in italy currently for 6 months. She gave birth to my father AFTER 1948, my dad is not 60 years old hes 52, so I'm positive... my dad was born in Canada, and didnt know he had this passed down to him, so him and myself never renounced our italian heritage... do I qualify, and if so, whats my next step? Please help, thank you!
robv187
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:13 am

Postby Em » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:28 am

Yes, you both qualify. Contact your local consulate, and they will tell you specifically what you need.
User avatar
Em
 
Posts: 3028
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:57 am

thank you

Postby robv187 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:33 am

thank you so much, I appreciate the quick reply.

One last question if I may, I have two sisters, one is 13 and one is 21, do they qualify? And how about my mother, they have been married inside canada for 24 years? Thank you again em you made my day
robv187
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:13 am

Postby Em » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:38 am

Your sisters qualify as well, but your 13-year old sister's application will be submitted with your father's (since she is still a minor).

Your mom does not qualify jure sanguinis, but she does qualify through marriage. She can apply after your dad's citizenship is recognized.
User avatar
Em
 
Posts: 3028
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:57 am

Postby Tiffany » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:47 pm

If your father and mother were married before 1983, her citizenship should be automatic and her documents would be submitted with your father's I believe.
Tiffany
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:21 pm

Re: Please help, Do i qualify?

Postby David_ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:43 pm

robv187 wrote:Hi, I am a canadian citizen, 19 years of age. My Grandmother and Grandfather are from Italy. My grandfather is now deceased, but my grandmother is still alive. They are both landed immigrants to Canada and have a permanent resident card for Canada. My Grandmother has her Italian Citizenship, always had it and is even in italy currently for 6 months. She gave birth to my father AFTER 1948, my dad is not 60 years old hes 52, so I'm positive... my dad was born in Canada, and didnt know he had this passed down to him, so him and myself never renounced our italian heritage... do I qualify, and if so, whats my next step? Please help, thank you!

Rob, the rule is after January 1st, 1948. That means that even January 2nd, 1948 could get citizenship, but we know that's not your issue.

I just want to let you know that you could possibly qualify through your grandfather. The fact that he's dead doesn't mean that you can't qualify through him.
User avatar
David_
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:08 pm

Postby David_ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:45 pm

Tiffany wrote:If your father and mother were married before 1983, her citizenship should be automatic and her documents would be submitted with your father's I believe.

That is true. That's what Anna Maria in SF told me today. No need for background checks and all that stuff, but it is necessary for the husband to apply for her to receive it. If he does, your 13 year old sister will get citizenship automatically, but your 21 year old sister will need to apply with the rest of the family.
Last edited by David_ on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
David_
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:08 pm

Re: Please help, Do i qualify?

Postby Tiffany » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:55 pm

David_ wrote:
robv187 wrote:Hi, I am a canadian citizen, 19 years of age. My Grandmother and Grandfather are from Italy. My grandfather is now deceased, but my grandmother is still alive. They are both landed immigrants to Canada and have a permanent resident card for Canada. My Grandmother has her Italian Citizenship, always had it and is even in italy currently for 6 months. She gave birth to my father AFTER 1948, my dad is not 60 years old hes 52, so I'm positive... my dad was born in Canada, and didnt know he had this passed down to him, so him and myself never renounced our italian heritage... do I qualify, and if so, whats my next step? Please help, thank you!

Rob, the rule is after January 1st, 1948. That means that even January 2nd, 1948 could get citizenship, but we know that's not your issue.

I just want to let you know that you could possibly qualify through your grandfather. The fact that he's dead doesn't mean that you can't qualify through him.


Good clarification.
Tiffany
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:21 pm

Postby robv187 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:14 am

Oh wow, thanks guys. That makes alot more sense now. My grandfather is the same as my grandmother, in the sense they came together to canada and kept italian citizenship, so I could use him too. That's good to know. Also thankyou for answering the question about my sisters and my mother, I'm pretty sure my mom would like her citizenship so now I know how to explain it to my family.
robv187
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:13 am

Question about Qualifying

Postby csimwil322 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:47 pm

My paternal grandfather was born in Italy, and came to the U.S. as a young boy with his father. His father became a citizen of the U.S. when my grandfather was very young; however, my grandfather never obtain a "Certificate of Citizenship" from the U.S. until the 1940's, several years after my father was born. My father never renounced his Italian citizenship. My question is, "Is the Certificate of Citizenship something different than "naturalization papers", or is the Cert. of Citizenship THE naturalization paper??" I am confused about whether my grandfather automatically became a U.S. citizen when his father did. Would I qualify under my grandfather, or would I have to go back another generation?
csimwil322
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA USA

Postby Tiffany » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:07 pm

Yes, your grandfather became a citizen when his father did. It does not matter when he received his certificate of citizenship. If asked, the US government will date your grandfather's citizenship to the date his father naturalized. There have been several cases of this and this always seems to be the outcome.

I am assuming then that your GF naturalized as a young boy and therefore lost Italian citizenship before your father was born. You do not qualify through that line.
Tiffany
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:21 pm

Postby penguindump » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:51 pm

Tiffany wrote:If your father and mother were married before 1983, her citizenship should be automatic and her documents would be submitted with your father's I believe.


Weak, Ms. Stone told me that my father would not be able to apply until my mother's citizenship was recognized.. and even though I had his birth certificate apostilled and translated, that I would have to hold onto it until she got her letter. They were married in 1979.
penguindump
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:34 am
Location: Bay Area, CA

Postby David_ » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:54 pm

penguindump wrote:
Tiffany wrote:If your father and mother were married before 1983, her citizenship should be automatic and her documents would be submitted with your father's I believe.


Weak, Ms. Stone told me that my father would not be able to apply until my mother's citizenship was recognized.. and even though I had his birth certificate apostilled and translated, that I would have to hold onto it until she got her letter. They were married in 1979.

Then she's saying contradictory stuff. She left my appointment for 3 people (My father, mother and myself). I'm applying through my father, and Anna Maria told me that my mother could apply at the same time as my father. Did you specify that they were married prior to 1983?
User avatar
David_
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:08 pm

Re: Question about Qualifying

Postby csimwil322 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:17 pm

One additional comment about this situation: according to my aunt (my dad's sister), my grandfather was not in the country in the year that his father naturalized (1923). My grandfather had returned to Italy for several years to become educated in the early 20's -- I believe with his mother. My GF's certificate of citizenship states that he had come to the U.S. with his father in 1913, and had permanent residence here ever since. To make the case even stronger, my GF's certificate of citizenship was obtained in 1942...the year when the U.S. was at war with Italy. Many Italians were being treated very poorly in this country at that time. If I were to be able to prove that my GF was not in the country when my GGF naturalized, would that give me a possibility of obtaining citizenship through this line? I'm not sure if I could obtain the necessary proof to show that he was not in the country, but it might be worth a shot (assuming it might make any difference)...



csimwil322 wrote:My paternal grandfather was born in Italy, and came to the U.S. as a young boy with his father. His father became a citizen of the U.S. when my grandfather was very young; however, my grandfather never obtain a "Certificate of Citizenship" from the U.S. until the 1940's, several years after my father was born. My father never renounced his Italian citizenship. My question is, "Is the Certificate of Citizenship something different than "naturalization papers", or is the Cert. of Citizenship THE naturalization paper??" I am confused about whether my grandfather automatically became a U.S. citizen when his father did. Would I qualify under my grandfather, or would I have to go back another generation?
csimwil322
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA USA

Postby Tiffany » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:33 pm

Between 1790 and 1940, all minor children of naturalized American males were naturalized with their father. I don't think it matters where the child was, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think I remember a case like yours where a father came over and naturalized leaving his son and wife in Italy. They came over a year later and both were considered to have become citizens when the father naturalized.

See more about naturalization: http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/natur ... ation.html

I wonder who you would contact to find out from what date your GF was considered a citizen.
Tiffany
 
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:21 pm

Next

Return to Qualifying

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests