Adopted Stepchild Eligible

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Postby yjg » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:35 pm

Thanks, David. That is why I love this forum!!! Everyone is so helpful. I think penguindump is in the same boat as my son. So hopefully his stepson can go the same route. I will contact SF and ask about this, unless someone else knows the answer for sure. Again, thanks, and yes it will save lots of drama.
yjg

Postby Tiffany » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Yes your DIL's child can naturalize with her mother as long as she is a minor. Be aware that no matter how long your DIL has been married to your son, it will take approximately two years for her naturalization to be approved by the Ministry of the Interior.
Tiffany

Postby David_ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:49 pm

Tiffany wrote:Yes your DIL's child can naturalize with her mother as long as she is a minor. Be aware that no matter how long your DIL has been married to your son, it will take approximately two years for her naturalization to be approved by the Ministry of the Interior.

I think she said the girl is 7 years old. I think she's pretty safe in terms of being able to have it passed on. Only thing that will be troublesome is that it will probably take another 2 years for the girl to have her citizenship recognized. This will leave an open window of 2 years where she won't be receiving all the Italian benefits. Personally, if there is no urgency to move, I'd rather go this way instead of the trouble of paperwork that will probably take over 2 years.
David_

Postby David_ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:51 pm

yjg wrote:Thanks, David. That is why I love this forum!!! Everyone is so helpful. I think penguindump is in the same boat as my son. So hopefully his stepson can go the same route. I will contact SF and ask about this, unless someone else knows the answer for sure. Again, thanks, and yes it will save lots of drama.

No Problem. I'm glad to be of help, and I also have found everyone here is helpful too. Some online forums get quite distasteful.

Oh! And good luck! Let us know what Anna Maria says.
David_

Postby yjg » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:53 pm

Thanks Tiffany and David, there is no urgency to move at this point so I think as long as she can get her citizenship perhaps before high school age then that would be fine. My son and daughter-in-law will be relieved to hear this.
yjg

Postby Tiffany » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:54 pm

Sorry, didn't read the age of the girl in question and if this eases some type of conflict with the bio dad, I'm all for it. That said, if there was no conflict, I would chose the adoption route, but that's just my personal choice. Good luck Julie!
Tiffany

Postby penguindump » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:55 am

I'm curious about adding my stepson to my wife's passport (3 years from now, after she applies through marriage).. I wonder how that works, since he wouldn't technically be a citizen. I guess they just wouldn't allow it.

He receives social security benefits every month from his father's death; we are putting away that money every month so he can choose whatever college he wants, or even buy a house. It is likely that if I were to adopt him, those checks would stop coming. I would hate to ruin that, since they will be coming until he's 18 - another 14 years.. which comes out to over $100k. That would be more than enough for a down payment on a house and college tuition..

:?
penguindump

adoption

Postby NOLA » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:37 am

Hi,

Believe me guys, this is not an easy process. Back in 2005 when I first went to the consolate in NY and asked one of the officials about doing this, they discouraged me. However, the then consul general Badini told me that it can be done. It is an unbelievable bureaucratic hassle that they really do not want to deal with, but it can be dealt with. I also would suggest that after you get your own Italian citizenship, then apply for your stepchild. All the offices will act in a timely matter when it regards an Italian citizen. One step at a time.

Regards
NOLA

Re: adoption

Postby David_ » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:46 pm

NOLA wrote:Hi,

Believe me guys, this is not an easy process. Back in 2005 when I first went to the consolate in NY and asked one of the officials about doing this, they discouraged me. However, the then consul general Badini told me that it can be done. It is an unbelievable bureaucratic hassle that they really do not want to deal with, but it can be dealt with. I also would suggest that after you get your own Italian citizenship, then apply for your stepchild. All the offices will act in a timely matter when it regards an Italian citizen. One step at a time.

Regards

Actually, now that I was thinking about it, I doubt that the parent getting Citizenship through marriage will have to wait and get his/her citizenship before passing it onto their child. Remember, in the application it asks if you have minor children and they become double citizens automatically. Wouldn't this mean that at the time the (in the case of yjq) daughter-in-law applies for double citizenship she would be getting it for her daughter?
David_

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:29 pm

Yes, although the documents they ask for in a jure matrimonis application don't include birth certificates for offspring (since they probably think your children are also your spouse's children). However, I think they'd be included. I was just cautioning about the two years since I did not know the age of the child.
Tiffany

step-child bc

Postby NOLA » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:03 am

Just to remind you. Check the birth certificate to see if there is anything in it that relates to adoption. By this I mean even some obscure small print.
NOLA

Previous

Return to Qualifying