Great Messages, But Still Need Help

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Great Messages, But Still Need Help

Postby Pluto » Fri May 05, 2006 6:42 pm

I've read through all the questions and comments, but I'm not certain I completely understand if I would qualify.

All four of my grandparents were born and married in Italy. They came through Ellis Island sometime at the beginning of the century. My father was born in the US in 1910, shortly after they arrived. My mother was born in similar circumstances in 1912.

I am not certain if any of the grandparents became US citizens or when, but my parents were born in the US and raised speaking Italian.

I was born in 1946.

Do I qualify through either parent? Both? Neither? What is the deciding factor.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Pluto

Postby ejd » Fri May 05, 2006 7:17 pm

You need to know when your grandfather was naturalized. If he was naturalized as a US citizen AFTER your father was born or not at all, you qualify. If he was naturalized before your father was born, you don't.
ejd

Postby ejd » Fri May 05, 2006 7:18 pm

ejd wrote:You need to know when your grandfather was naturalized. If he was naturalized as a US citizen AFTER your father was born or not at all, you qualify. If he was naturalized before your father was born, you don't.

I should add, that I was referring to your paternal grandfather.
ejd

Postby Em » Fri May 05, 2006 8:43 pm

The ONLY possibility is your paternal grandfather through your father. Since you were born in 1946, you could not obtain citizenship from your grandmother or your mother because women were not permitted by law to pass on citizenship before 1948. Your grandfather is the key.

If he naturalized AFTER your father's birth or did not naturalized, he passed citizenship to your father who passed it to you.

BTW, your position is almost exactly like mine. I also can only qualify through my father's father. My grandfather naturalized seven years after my father's birth, so I do qualify. I hope you do too.
Em

Many Thanks

Postby Pluto » Mon May 08, 2006 12:32 am

I really do appreciate the responses.

I shall track down my paternal grandfather's records and hope that he did not naturalize before my father was born. He actually died quite young, so I may be in luck.

The trick with him is that he was adopted in Lake Garda, and given his own name, rather than the name of the family. I believe they named him after a river that emptied into the lake. Still, there should be some way to track it.

Again, thanks!
Pluto

Postby Em » Mon May 08, 2006 5:57 am

That may involve one extra step, but it should not be a major hurdle. If you have access to his birth certificate (Italian I assume) that is proof that he was Italian. You may also need to get adoption records to show that the man named on the birth certificate and the man with the new name are indeed one. The rest should be substantially the same. Good luck.
Em

Return to Qualifying