Do I Qualify?

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Do I Qualify?

Postby Norccer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:08 pm

Ok, I know that I most likely don't qualify but just making sure. I have a few questions.

First off, my Great Grandpa came from Italy and my grandpa was born in the USA 3 years after my great grandpa got here. I do not believe that I qualify because it was my great grandpa on my mothers side.

If my mom applies for citizenship than I believe that I can do it when she gets her citizenship; however, can I apply for citizenship the same time my mom does and then when she gets accepted they can accept me right afterwords so I don't have to send my documents after my mom finally gets her citizenship? I am trying to do this so I don't have to wait an extra 6 months to 2 years to get my citizenship.

(I believe that my mom needs to apply for citizenship first. This takes 6 months to 1 year for her to get accepted. Can I send my application along with hers even though right now I currently can't apply for citizenship? How I believe this would work is that they would accept me along with her to be citizens because they have both of our applications and I would qualify right after she gets her citizenship. Is this possible? I am trying to get citizenship ASAP. My family on my moms side is very Italian oriented and we are purchasing an estate from a family member in Italy.)

Thanks a lot for the help and if I was not clear than feel free to ask me to clarify.
Norccer

Postby Tiffany » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:38 pm

Please state the full lineage with dates. Just because it's your great-grandfather through your maternal side does not automatically disqualify you.
Tiffany

Postby Em » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:53 pm

Since your mother obtained citizenship through her father (your grandfather) who was born in the U.S. before his father naturalized, she qualifies for jure sanguinis citizenship. If you were born AFTER 1948, you qualify too.

Your mom does not have to apply for you to do so, but even if she does apply, you do not have to wait for her citizenship to be recognized. In fact, if you both reside in the same consular jurisdiction, you can apply together.

By the way, your situation is like that of my son. He qualified through me (his mother), going back to his maternal greatgrandfather. We applied together and received citizenship together.

(Note, this assumes that your greatgrandfather did not naturalize before your grandfather was born. . .extremely unlikely based on your narrative.)
Em

Postby Norccer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:34 pm

Tiffany wrote:Please state the full lineage with dates. Just because it's your great-grandfather through your maternal side does not automatically disqualify you.

my family tree book is at my house, but I am at college so I would need to get it on a weekend. I will try to get it off the internet and show you. Thanks.
Norccer

Postby Norccer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:37 pm

Em wrote:Since your mother obtained citizenship through her father (your grandfather) who was born in the U.S. before his father naturalized, she qualifies for jure sanguinis citizenship. If you were born AFTER 1948, you qualify too.

Your mom does not have to apply for you to do so, but even if she does apply, you do not have to wait for her citizenship to be recognized. In fact, if you both reside in the same consular jurisdiction, you can apply together.

By the way, your situation is like that of my son. He qualified through me (his mother), going back to his maternal greatgrandfather. We applied together and received citizenship together.

(Note, this assumes that your greatgrandfather did not naturalize before your grandfather was born. . .extremely unlikely based on your narrative.)

I was assuming that if my grandpa was born in the U.S. he would automatically be a U.S. citizen even if his father didn't naturalize. I am not sure but I remember some how that his father naturalized a year before he was born or something like that. I am shady on it right now so I will get the facts when I have time.

So, if my grandpa was born in the USA before his father was naturalized I still can become a citizen? If that is true to my situation then I will be very happy.

Thank you both for all of the assistance and information.
Norccer

Postby David_ » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:50 pm

Norccer wrote:
So, if my grandpa was born in the USA before his father was naturalized I still can become a citizen? If that is true to my situation then I will be very happy.

Hold on. You'll have to be born after 1948 for that to be the case.
David_

Postby Em » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:23 pm

If your greatgrandfather naturalized after your grandfather was born or never naturalized AND you were born after 1948, you qualify.
Em

Postby Norccer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:36 pm

I was born in 90. :wink:

My great grandfather naturalized before my grandfather was born. I am pretty sure about that. I missed out by about a year.
Norccer

Postby David_ » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:47 pm

Norccer wrote:I was born in 90. :wink:

My great grandfather naturalized before my grandfather was born. I am pretty sure about that. I missed out by about a year.

You should get an official document stating this. It seems many users on these boards have been surprised by their findings.
David_

Postby matta » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:16 pm

Yes. I would definitely get my hands on a Petition from NARA or the county. As David_ said, many people have been surprised. Several people have confused all the dates associated with naturalization (the date the declaration is made, the date the declaration is accepted, the date the petition is filed, the date the petition is accepted). These dates are years apart.
matta

Re: Do I Qualify?

Postby Norccer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:54 am

Old old thread. Someone in my family finally got all of the paperwork. I think my mum and I will put in our applications in San Francisco at the same time, and we will see what happens. :D
Norccer

Return to Qualifying