Applying in Italy vs. US Consulate

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Postby marybary » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:00 am

It is true that all documents will need an Apostille and the Apostille, along with all documents will need to be translated into Italian.

However, it is not true that you must have a Visa in order to stay in Italy for more than 90 days. You must get a permesso di soggiorno which you can then "convert" into a Permesso di Soggiorno in Attesa di Cittadinanza. In order to do this you will need a certificate of Residency from your comune.
marybary

Postby marybary » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:01 am

Angela/Angiolo - I have no motive for lying and am only trying to help those requesting assistance - unlike others whose main purpose seems to be to attack anyone who tries to help out. I have no affiliation with ExpatsinItaly or any other website. I am not selling any type of service, just good will. Nor am I trying to set up my own website. The personal attacks are ridiculous and unwarranted.
marybary

Postby Anonymous » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:08 pm

I do wonder about the possibility of applying in Italy, but am not sure if it is feasable for me. Maybe I would consider it, if it was easy enough
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:31 pm

Sorry Angiolo, I do not agree with applying in Italy except under certain circumstances.

Why should any Italian go through a process designed for a naturalization process, whereas, they can apply in the US, and be treated as Italian citizens? Sorry, but I just do not agree with this concept, and believe everyone should just let the consulates do their job. I waited, and then walked into this country, proudly displaying my Italian passport, with tears in my eyes for finally arriving HOME. what a great feeling it was!!

My opinion Ada, is WAIT for the consulate to send you an Italian passport
Anonymous

Postby Tiffany » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:51 pm

I agree that of course you can. Whether it is preferable to apply here or there though is the question. One big obstacle I can think of to applying while in Italy is the question of whether or not you can work. Does anybody know whether you can or cannot (I'd also like to see proof if you can work)? Grazie!
Tiffany

Postby marybary » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:09 am

You can work if you get the proper type of Permesso di Soggiorno. Here's a website I've found that explains them somewhat. I am not affiliated with it in anyway.

http://rome.angloinfo.com/countries/italy/residency.asp
marybary

Postby Tiffany » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:49 pm

marybary wrote:You can work if you get the proper type of Permesso di Soggiorno. Here's a website I've found that explains them somewhat. I am not affiliated with it in anyway.

http://rome.angloinfo.com/countries/italy/residency.asp

It doesn't seem one has express permission to work on a PDiS per attesa di cittadinanza. Info here: http://www.meltingpot.org/articolo1023.html

The article is in Italian only. It states that if one does work, one runs the risk that the citizenship might not be recognized, and if it is not, it is illegal to work since you are not an Italian citizen yet, nor in possession of a PDiS that allows one to work. However if it is recognized, the recognition is retroactive and thus prior work activity would be legal.
Tiffany

Postby Em » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:37 pm

It does seem a bit confusing. I do know that when we were living in the Philadelphia jurisdiction, my husband asked about a PDiS per attesa di cittadinanza. As a naturalized American, he would need to reside in Italy for only one year. They specifically said that he would not be permitted to work.

I wonder, however, if it is permissable to obtain a separate permesso (in addition to this one) that does permit the holder to work. In other words, is it possible to hold two permessi at the same time?
Em

Postby marybary » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:26 am

I have a Permesso di Soggiorno in Attesa di Cittadinanza and cannot work. However, you can get a different kind of Permesso if you qualify for one and, since you are here and have residency, you can still go through the citizenship process. You don't have to have the PdiS in Attesa in order to get citizenship, but you do have to have Residency if you are applying in Italy.
marybary

Previous

Return to Qualifying