They rejected my request for citizenship. I need advice

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

They rejected my request for citizenship. I need advice

Postby GILDA » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi everyone, Im so happy that I found this great site!

This is my story:
I recently began the process of "recognition of Italian Citizenship" in my native Colombia. I visited the embassy in Bogota several times to have a better understanding of the documents required, I was told that I qualified for citizenship under "jure sanguinis" My grand father was born in Italy, moved to Colombia in the 1940, he never became a colombian citizen, he had a son (my father) with my grand mother, whom he later married.
After months on intense searching I managed to get all of the documents requiered, translated and apostille. Even my grand father's original passaport!! Everything seem to be on the right track
Two days ago I went to the embassy ready to submit my application. My surprisse was to hear that "I DO NOT QUALIFY"
I was told that my father was born before my grand father's marrige to my grand mother, and when they did get married my father was already 23 years old, therefore he cannot be recoginized as an Italian citizen. Im very confused, all of the research that I've done indicate nothing of this matter, as far I as know to claim" jure sanguinis" does not required marrige. Can anyone please give some advice of how to go about this? should I apply elsewhere ( I am canadian citizen),
(What I wanna make clear is that the colombian embassy said that this is the only reason why my father cannot be an italian citizen) HELP !! lol
GILDA

Re: They rejected my request for citizenship. I need advice

Postby Karina E. Bellassai » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:56 pm

Actually, I believe marriage does come into play. That's why they request marriage certificates---not to be offensive but they are interested in determining whether or not the offspring are "legitimate"...they need to see that all of your antecedents were born within the state of marriage. Can you apply through any other ancestor? I hope things work out for you.
Karina E. Bellassai

Postby LookingEast » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:23 pm

I suggest that you keep trying. It appears that you qualify, provided that the acquisition of Canadian citizenship did not terminate the Italian citizenship of yourself, or one of your ancestors before the next generation was born.

Many countries are reluctant to grant citizenship to a foreign-born child of a father who was unmarried at the time of birth. They question whether the father named on the birth certificate is the real father.

For example, the United States has required that the unwed father file an affidavit of paternity before the child reaches the age of 18. Otherwise, the child loses the ability to inherit American citizenship from his or her father.

Italy is, of course, more relaxed with its citizenship requirements than the United States. The consulate may want more evidence that your father is the child of your grandfather. I don't know the particulars on how to accomplish this.
LookingEast

Postby GILDA » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:58 pm

I know for a fact my acquisition of Canadian citizenship did not terminate the Italian citizenship.
I have all documents to prove that he (grand father) legally recognized my father,his baptizmal record, birth certificate, letters, etc etc. I also have an Aunt (only surviver) my father's sister, she was born after they were married, she could present evidences that they were a family.
Thank you for all of your responses!!!
GILDA

Postby Aussie34 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:11 pm

The Melbourne (Australia) Consulate did not reject my (half) brother and sister's applications for citizenship, notwithstanding that they were both born to an unmarried couple (my father who qualifies for Italian Citizenship and their mother who is Australian with no ties to Italy).

I also qualfiy as I was born to the same father but to a previous marriage, which ended in divorce some years ago.
Aussie34

Postby GILDA » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:15 pm

Aussie, thank you for your post, wonderful to hear a story that resembles my situation. I will be applying in Canada next month. Thanks again
GILDA

Return to Qualifying