my maternal side

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

my maternal side

Postby nmecion » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:17 pm

ok is it possible to go through my other grandparent on my mothers side since i cannot go through my gf

my grandmother was born in the us
my maternal great grandmother (grandmothers mother) was born in the united states
my maternal great grandfather was an italian citizen when she was born . will this make me eligible ??

the other scenario is my great grandfather came here as a baby 6 months old from italy, he then went back to italy when he was 14 to learn his trade. how can i fond out if he naturalized at 6 months or when he returned at 14. either way he had to naturalize prior to my grandmothers birth correct?

thanks so much for any help :) much appreciated this stuff is making me crazy just trying to find a way ..
nmecion

Re: my maternal side

Postby kpburke » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:22 pm

Hello,

If your mother was born after January 1, 1948, and your great grandfather was indeed an Italian citizen at the time of your grandmother's birth, then you can claim citizenship through your GGF -> GM -> M.

As for the naturalization of your GGF, it's hard to say. You need to find out when his father naturalized. If your GGGF naturalized at any point before your GGF was of age (I think 18), then he was naturalized along with his father. Going back to Italy at 14 doesn't prove one way or another that he was a naturalized citizen of the US.

Also, please keep in mind that the naturalization process takes a long time. The person must have lived in the US for at least 7 years (I think), among other qualifications. If you have no idea when he was naturalized, then I suggest you do a search with NARA for any info regarding that. They might be able to help. If they don't find anything, then I suggest you look in the local county where he lived, since his father might have petitioned for naturalization through the County Court and not a Federal Court.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you even more.
kpburke

Return to Qualifying