A family deal

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

A family deal

Postby Leonardoi » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:56 am

What a great site! Thank you for making it available.

This is our situation:

I was born in Italy in 1957 - moved to the US in 1985 - became a US citizen in 2001. I have an Italian passport that expired in 2003.

My wife was born in NYC in 1957 from an Italian born father (1928) and a US mother - At the time of birth, the father was an Italian citizen; he became a US citizen by naturalization in the early 60s.

My older son, born in 1990 in the US, registered as an Italian born abroad back at the time of birth with the Italian consulate in NYC. Currently only has a US passport.

My younger son, born in Paris in 1992, registered as a US citizen born abroad and as an Italian citizen born abroad. Currently only has a US passport.

By reading the jure sanguine conditions, it seems to me that my wife and my kids are Italian citizens.
I was born in Italy, therefore, it seems to me that I should not lose my Italian citizenship although I became a US citizen in 2001. Am I correct? Does my naturalization affect my Italian citizenship?

What is the easiest process to obtain a set of Italian passports for all of us?

What documents should my wife have to demonstrate her Italian citizenship? Would the father's birth certificate and a copy of his naturalization be sufficient? Do we need original documents?

What about my boys? One is over 18? Any issue with that? Do they need to exercise their right/desire to maintain their Italian citizenship?

Thank you so much for your assistance
Leonardoi

Re: A family deal

Postby Em » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:50 pm

You and your children are all Italian citizens. Your wife will have to apply jure sanguinis or naturalize as the wife of an Italian.
Em

Return to Qualifying