Living Parent - Does She Need to Apply Before Me?

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Living Parent - Does She Need to Apply Before Me?

Postby Anthony28 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:29 pm

I have been reading this excellent site for a couple of weeks and have decided to post my question. I am currently obtaining the documents necessary to apply for dual citizenship at the Miami consulate in 2010.

In my case, I am applying through my maternal great grandfather. He was born in Italy, my grandfather was born in the U.S. 20 years before my great grandfather was naturalized a US citizen, my grandfather and mother never renounced Italian citizenship, and I was born after January 1, 1948. While my grandfather is dead, my mother is still living.

I thought I read somewhere on the internet that a person (son) applying at the Philadelphia consulate was rejected because his U.S. born father was still alive, and the U.S. born father never had his italian citizenship officially recognized. Therefore, according to the information that I read, the father was required to get his dual citizenship recognized before the son could resubmit his application for consideration.

Again, my blood chain is: Maternal Great Grandfather - grandfather - mother - son (me).

My question is this: Does my mother have to apply for dual citizenship (and be recognized) before I can apply?

My mother and I are in different jurisdictions and I rather not complicate this time consuming process any more than it already is by involving my Mom. I would appreciate any input on this narrow issue.
Anthony28

Re: Living Parent - Does She Need to Apply Before Me?

Postby Em » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:21 am

Your mother does not need to apply. She will complete a Declaration of Living Ascendent stating that she never renounced Italian citizenship. Keep in mind that although you are using her line, she does not automatically obtain citizenship recognition when you do. If, after you receive your citizenship, she wishes to apply, she need simply reference your case, and things will proceed quickly.
Em

Return to Qualifying