I hope I qualify

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

I hope I qualify

Postby ColdEspresso » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:32 am

Hi all. This has probably been re-hashed numerous times but I cannot seem to get anyone in the Consulate in Detroit to answer any questions. My GF was born in the late 1800's and immigrated to the US in the 1920's. Nobody is sure if he married here or in Sicily. My father (who has now passed) was born in 1929. He did serve in the Army. My GF did become naturalized in 1955 and died in Palermo in 1972. However his remains were returned to the US and he is buried here. I can get a death certificate for my GF but nobody knows what town in Sicily he was born in. It appears that he may have been born in one of the communal towns around Palermo (ie SantElia, Santa Flavia, Portacello?) Does anyone think that I have a shot at eligibility? What will I need to gather prior to going to getting an appointment in Detroit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mario
ColdEspresso

Re: I hope I qualify

Postby Em » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:17 am

Yes, you qualify. You will need your gf's birth, marriage, death certificates and naturalization papers. You'll also need your father's birth, marriage, death (if applicable) certificates; your birth, marriage certificates (and bc for your children). Your father will have to complete a Declaration of Living ascendent, or if he is deceased, you complete a Declaration of Deceased Ascendent (copies are generally posted on the consulate's web page). As far as I know, Detroit does not require documents from the non-Italian line, but requirements change reqularly, so you may want to get them if you can. All U.S.- issued documents with the exception of the naturalization papers will need apostilles and will probably need to be translated.
Em

Return to Qualifying