I'm adopted, but my biological great grandfather was Italian

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

I'm adopted, but my biological great grandfather was Italian

Postby yogadiva » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:59 am

I was adopted at birth, and my birth certificate does not list my biological parents. My biological great grandparents were both born in Italy, and I believe I would qualify based on blood. The adoption agency has documentation of who my biological parents are, but since my birth certificate does not reflect this, I wonder if I will be able to prove it sufficiently to apply for citizenship. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
yogadiva

Re: I'm adopted, but my biological great grandfather was Italian

Postby Em » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:52 pm

You should check with the consulate on this one, but it seems to me you would qualify if you have sufficient documentation to prove the Italian line. Your consulate can guide you on the documentation they would find acceptable.
Em

Postby nfig1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:35 pm

You would most certainly have to have your birth certificate amended in order to prove the blood line, and of course come up with the rest of the documents required. Simply file an affidavit to amend a birth record. Normally this requires two signatures. Also, make sure your GGF "died Italian", or if he had naturalized, that it was after the birth of your grandfather.
nfig1

Postby azsumrg1rl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:01 am

I suggest emailing the appropriate consulate with your question. There may be a way you can apply without amending your birth certificate (which likely would take a court order), especially since you have access to adoption papers that list your biological parents.
azsumrg1rl

Postby nfig1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:33 pm

azsumrg1rl wrote:I suggest emailing the appropriate consulate with your question. There may be a way you can apply without amending your birth certificate (which likely would take a court order), especially since you have access to adoption papers that list your biological parents.

The Italians will most likely want to see the names of your Italian ancestors as part of the birth record itself, I am nearly positive about this. But before you do anything, I also advise you to contact the consulate in your jurisdiction for verification. If they say the amendment is not needed, you're in luck. If yes, contact a lawyer about whether you need to go to court for the amendment. If you don't need to, then file the affidavit.
nfig1

Return to Qualifying