GGGF born in 1859

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

GGGF born in 1859

Postby nfig1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:59 pm

I know this is a little late in the game to be asking this again, but I just want to double-check.

So my GGGF was born in what is now La Spezia in Aug 1859. He emigrated from Italy in 1884. It is my understanding - and if someone could provide me the Italian law on this I would be appreciative - that people born/living in what became the nation state of Italy as of 1861 automatically became part of the framework, and were "absorbed" as citizens. The 1900 census says he arrived in 1884 and was married in 1886. I have no other proof of his arrival year, and that is that.

Thank you.
nfig1

Re: GGGF born in 1859

Postby azsumrg1rl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:42 pm

You are correct in your understanding: Prior to 1861, there was no Italy--just a bunch of territories. Italy was unified March 17, 1861, and citizens of these territories became Italian citizens on this date.

However, you may run in to some troubles if your GGGF naturalized prior to 1912. Before July 1, 1912, if an Italian citizen became a citizen of another country through naturalization, he, his wife and all his minor children (i.e. under age 21) lost Italian citizenship together. Not all consulates enforce this rule, which is why I said you may run into trouble. It really depends on the consulate and, of course, when your GGGF naturalized.

ciao,
*azsumrg1rl*
http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org
azsumrg1rl

Postby carlo1234 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:38 pm

I've done some checking on the adoption of the 1912 Law by consulates.

I've asked every consulate for their view of my case and while I don't have all of the responses - the ones that have responded would deny my claim based on the 1912 Law.

My gut tells me that all of the consulates have probably come to some agreement on this issue.

Really disappointing.. considering I was raised Italian and speak moderate Italian.
carlo1234

Postby nfig1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:43 pm

carlo1234 wrote:I've done some checking on the adoption of the 1912 Law by consulates.

I've asked every consulate for their view of my case and while I don't have all of the responses - the ones that have responded would deny my claim based on the 1912 Law.

My gut tells me that all of the consulates have probably come to some agreement on this issue.

Really disappointing.. considering I was raised Italian and speak moderate Italian.

Well, one might argue if the consulates weren't on the same page, you have expedited the process by your excessive inquisitiveness. That said, the 1912 interpretation is just another way to arbitrarily cut some people out.

And btw, getting a passport has nothing to do with whether one speaks Italian or how Italian one feels. "Italianness" is not a factor.

And it is just a waste of time to ask EVERY consulate, when the only one that matters is the one whose jurisdiction you're in. Some might not even answer you if they know you're not in their jurisdiction. They have too much workload as it is.
Last edited by nfig1 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nfig1

Postby carlo1234 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:54 pm

I haven't been asking about the 1912 law in particular - only offering the details of my case and asking for a response. To date, I have been presented with the 1912 Law every time as a reason for denial. Therefore, my inquisitiveness has done no damage.

And you are right about "Italianness". I think my point is that the 1912 date is just so arbitrary that it is isolating SOME of us who still have Italian roots.
carlo1234

Return to Qualifying