Please Help! Very Confused....

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Please Help! Very Confused....

Postby dominickbarilla » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:16 pm

New to this board, and I am just beginning the process of obtaining my Italian citizenship and have encountered something that has me questioning whether I still qualify.

I am applying through my great-grandfather, grandfather, father, to me.

Great-Grandfather was born in May 1885 in Italy. My Grandfather was born June 1921 in the United States so he was a natural born US citizen. My Great-Grandfather was naturalized in January of 1922 (when my Grandfather was 6 months old).

On the Naturalization document it asks for the name and address of my Great-Grandfather's spouse and minor children. My 6 month, old US born Grandfather is named in this category.

The document only makes reference to my Great-Grandfather being Naturalized and not to his children or wife.

My question is simple: does my Grandfather’s name being included on this document somehow act as a renouncement of his Italian citizenship even though he was already a natural born US citizen? Or would he have had to actually go to a consulate (or equivalent) and renounce his citizenship?

Any assistance or guidance you can help with is VERY much appreciated. Thanks!
dominickbarilla

Re: Please Help! Very Confused....

Postby azsumrg1rl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:02 pm

You are fine. Having your grandfather's name on the certificate only makes it easier to prove that your GGF naturalized after your grandfather's birth. To renounce his right to Italian citizenship, your grandfather would have had to actually go to a consulate (or equivalent) and renounce his citizenship.

ciao,
*azsumrg1rl*
http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org
azsumrg1rl

Return to Qualifying