Do I Qualify?

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Do I Qualify?

Postby jsmarsch » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:58 pm

My father and grandmother were born in NY but my great grandmother and both of her parents were born in Italy.

Me (b.1978)
Father (b. 1950)
Grandmother (b. 1920)
Great Grandmother (b. 1896 Berceto Italy, emigrated as a ****)
Great Great Grandfather and Great Great Grandmother (b. circa 1866 - 1876 Italy)

I'm not sure if it is acceptable to trace it that far back and through two generations of women, so I'd like to find out before checking into any of the naturalization and renouncement rules.

Thanks!
Jessica
jsmarsch

Re: Do I Qualify?

Postby tonyric » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:20 am

Two generations of women is not the problem. The problem I see with your line is your grandmother was born in 1920 to a woman. Was your Great Grandmothers husband American or Italian?
tonyric

Postby jsmarsch » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:29 am

Thanks for your reply- I appreciate it.

My great grandmother, Maria Ferarri, was born in Berceto/Parma in 1896.
She came to the United States and married Vincenzo Capelli and we're not sure exactly where he was born. He died before my father was born. My grandmother thought that her father (Vincenzo) was from Switzerland but my dad has copies of both Maria and Vincenzo's US Certificates of Citizenship which say Race: Italian Nationality: Italy/Italian. These documents mention nothing about their birth.

Finding out his birthplace would be key. (Can I do this from my home computer?) If it turns out he was not born in Italy, I was wondering if it would be OK to trace back to Maria's parents who were surely born in Italy (and after 1861 which I have read is a cut-off date b/c it is when Italy became an official state). Any thoughts?

Thanks again
Jessica
jsmarsch

Postby Em » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:41 pm

You will most definitely need to locate the birthplace of your greatgrandfather Vincenzo since his seems to be the only line you can use. It would be a waste of effort in terms of citizenship to follow the line of your greatgrandmother since she could not pass on citizenship when your grandmother was born; only her husband could.

It's difficult to research this on the computer but you may be able to get some help at http://www.italiangenealogy.com Several of the regular posters are amateur and professional genealogists in both the U.S. and Italy; and they are eager to help. They may be able to locate Vincenzo for you.

If your mom is Italian, you may also qualify through her line.
Em

Postby jsmarsch » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:15 pm

Update!

I have located the US Census report from 1930 and Vincenzo Capelli, my great grandfather, was born in Switzerland in 1901 HOWEVER according to this census report, both of his parents were born in Italy. He became a US Citizen in 1930, ten years after my grandmother was born in New York City. My father was born in 1950.

Is it possible I have a case here?

I've spent all day researching this. It's very interesting, regardless of whether or not I can gain dual citizenship.

Thanks so much for the replies!
jsmarsch

Postby Em » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Yes, you qualify if your greatgreatgrandfather was Italian and your greatgrandfather did not acquire Swiss citizenship through naturalization (and it appears that he did not).
Em

Postby tonyric » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:05 am

Just don't mention Switzerland if you don't have to. LOL
tonyric

Postby Em » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:56 am

Hard to avoid it since he would have a Swiss birth certificate, but it probably means he never naturalized there. Depending on the citizenship laws in Switzerland, this will probably be a simple matter of presenting the birth certificate. You MAY, however, need to demonstrate that he never naturalized in Switzerland.
Em

Return to Qualifying