Do i qualify for an Australian/Italian dual citizenship

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Do i qualify for an Australian/Italian dual citizenship

Postby culo200 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:06 am

Hi, i would like to know if i am eligible for dual citizenship and what its entitlements are?

so this is the story,

my father was born in Italy, and moved here (australia) when he was around 3, both his parents were born in italy (as were all previous ancestors to our knowledge). I am not sure whether or not they are/were (grandmother is deceased, grandfather is alive) dual citizen or whether they just became aust citizens and forfeited thier italian citizenship. at the moment dad does not have dual citizenship. Is he entitled to claim dual cit. now?

my mother was born in Australia in 1961 however, at the time of HER birth, her mother (my grandmother) was an Italian citizen (had not yet become an Aust citizen, i done know why :s). My maternal grandparents were both born in italy and migrated. my great grandparents were born in italy and migrated but i dont know of their status (i dont think they would be dual) would mum be entitled to dual citizenship?

finally, would either myself or my brother be entitled? we are 19 and 23 respectively. We have never traveled overseas or held an aust passport. both my parents have held an australian passport in the past but do not currently hold one.

also, if we do qualify, what are the procedures to have this officiated?
thankyou in advance!
culo200

Re: Do i qualify for an Australian/Italian dual citizenship

Postby Em » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:05 am

You don't provide dates, but based on your narrative, I would guess that your father acquired Australian citizenship. If he did so before 1992, he lost his Italian citizenship. If he did so before you were born, he could not pass citizenship to you.

Your mom, who was born in Australia, acquired Italian citizenship through her parents (if, as you say, they never naturalized in Australia). If that is the case, you can obtain Italian citizenship through her line.

There are, I believe, several Australians who post on www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org You may want to post specific questions there as well.
Em

Return to Qualifying