Daughter's Citizenship

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Daughter's Citizenship

Postby blueberry » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:41 am

Greetings everyone,

A quick question to those who have been through the process. Our daughter was born in New York City and the process of getting the apostille for her birth certificate is particularly difficult as we live outside the US. Is there any reason not to apply for me and my wife and then once we are granted Italian Citizenship, simply take her with birth certificate and our Italian passports to the embassy and be done with it? Wouldn't that be much easier?

Advice welcomed.

J
blueberry

Re: Daughter's Citizenship

Postby tonyric » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:27 am

If she is under 18, you must include her in your package.
tonyric

Postby Em » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:09 pm

There should be no problem in obtaining the apostille by mail. You must first send for the long form bc with a letter of exemplification. Then you send the bc to the county clerk for authentication. Once that is returned to you, you send it to the state for an apostille. It means going back and forth through the mail a few times, but it should not be a major problem.
Em

Postby tonyric » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:14 pm

In addition to what Em stated, if you have a relative in the area, see if they are willing to run the docs around for you. It would save the time and expense of mailing back and forth multiple times.
tonyric

Postby blueberry » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:34 am

Thank you so much for the advice. I am not sure, however, what a letter of exemplification is? I have her original birth certificate and that is it. Also, on an unrelated site, it suggested that the BC could not be more than a year old. Is that the case?

J
blueberry

Postby Em » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:45 am

That is most definitely the case. The state will not apostille documents that were issued many years ago. Send for a new certified copy of your daughter's bc. Request that it be in long form and exemplified suitable for apostille (Italy). You'll get what you need. The exemplification is attached to the certificate. Death certificates from NYC also need to be exemplified.
Em

Return to Qualifying