Should or Should I Not Cancel?

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Should or Should I Not Cancel?

Postby michellemarino » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:55 pm

My appointment is May 2010. I got the appointment in July 2008. I started working on all these documents in 2007.

Here is my dilemna: Not only have I been offered a job which requires security clearance, I might have also found a way to get my PhD from a university in Italy that only permits foreign nationals.

So the question is: Do you think I should wait a few years? Maybe ten years or so? I still have some changes to make on the documents, though I am not sure if they would be acceptable or not. My grandfather's name is Ernest on all his documents but his birth certificate, which states he is Ernesto. It is through him and his father that I qualify. Other documentation of the "non-Italian" side - in this case, though, everyone is Italian including the wives, my grandmother and great grandmother also don't have the same names on their birth and death certificates and their dates of birth on such don't match. (We are talking two days difference each.)

Should I delay the citizenship? Do you think it is still possible to do so? Or should I carry on with my career plans?

~ Ugh

BTW, my appointment is in SF.
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:46 pm

Re: Should or Should I Not Cancel?

Postby michellemarino » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:17 pm

I forgot to mention -

Another reason for the delay is while I have an excellent record regarding criminal activity and the like, meaning that my only offense I really have done is J-Walking but have never been cited for it :), is that about three years ago I cancelled a credit card only to find out about six months ago that it was never cancelled, and on top of that, someone had bought something nice but never shared with me. So as the company says I cannot prove that I cancelled it, and as I was unaware that it was not paid, I am responsible for paying it, in addition to a worsening credit.

My security clearance position is also depending on this, but as long as I pay it, I have been given an acceptance. (I was overseas at the time the card was used.)
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:46 pm

Re: Should or Should I Not Cancel?

Postby zagnut » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:49 am

Yes, I would simply cancel the appointment, and apply later if you no longer need the foreign status for Italian university and/or security clearance .
Posts: 911
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:48 am

Re: Should or Should I Not Cancel?

Postby Em » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:07 pm

I agree. Being a non-citizen works to your benefit in two ways, and it would be a shame to lose both opportunities.

The credit card situation will not affect your jure sanguinis application either now or later. If you are willing to pay the charge, do it; but be aware that you can fight the charge. Under the provisions of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you can challenge the charge and their assessment of any fees and interest. Be sure to do so in writing, however. If you can prove that you were out of the country when the charge was made, even if the account was not closed, you can claim fraudulent use of your card and probably prove it. If you have documentation to support your claim, this will NOT affect your credit rating.

If you have any questions about this, PM me. My son was in a similar situation. A credit card he applied for was sent to his college address after he graduated from the school. Someone picked it up and used it. Two years later, he began receiving calls from a collection agency for charges and fees in excess of $1000. Since he never received the card, he had totally forgotten about it. It was a time-consuming process, but ultimately the charge was removed and all mention of it was deleted from his credit record. They hope you won't fight it because, of course, they would rather you pay the bill.
User avatar
Posts: 3028
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:57 am

Return to Qualifying

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests