Italian minister on Jure Sanguinis

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Postby Anonymous » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:42 pm

EM, ok, you asked for it. PART TWO

The second day in Italy was spent talking about relatives and going to the local cemtary, where I was able to view the headstones and pictures of relatives I never knew about. This was followed by an evening spent listening to a local 'folk singing group' outside in the piazza. I was introduced to the sindaco who was with his wife and two daughters. he was re-elected. One of the folk dancers (a woman of about 50, but younger looking) invited me to 'dance'. I had to refrain from trying to get too close (wasn`t easy). I CLEARLY could not dance as they do, and of course it was all in fun anyway. Esperanza said I can`t get a girl that way. (she knows I am not married). When i said i wasn`t looking, she said "I can see". she said i needed to relax. The folk dancer continued to dance, but later came over to me, and we talked a bit ( while her brother watched). However, he came over and shook hands with me, and 'opened up' after a few more minutes. The folk dance stopped at about 9:30, at which time a few trays were brought forward of food, and a table of heavy wooden planks, served as table and cutting board for cheese blocks and sausage. wine was served as was some soda water (like selzer). A salad was also prepared with lettuce, tomato, olive oil, and basil, (nothing extra). The cheese was pecorino romano in the form of the largest wedge I had ever seen. We ate and went to the house at about 10:30, and sat up talking for about another 20 minutes. Arturo had to work the next day for 3 hours (talk about over doing it!!). he works as a maintenance person for the city, picking up papers, pulling weeds, or mowing, etc.
The next day and for several days after, I helped in their small vineyard, attempting to get it to the point of being able to produce. Time will tell! I didn`t have to, but actually liked the idea and asked to help, which they agreed (naturally). besides, they were giving me a place to sleep and free food, but if i tryed to say that I was helping to 'repay' them, I knew they would be insulted, and so kept quiet. Actually, we all acted as if we were brothers and sisters working together. It was a good feeling of family togetherness. The evenings were very quiet, and they opened their windows (no screen!!). nice breeze though! and cool!
After the chore in the vineyard, I spent more time at the stato civile office. By the way, that pretty girl there, i found out was the niece of one of Arturo`s brothers, also a cousin of mine! I think third cousin.
I was the FIRST American they have ever seen in their village, but everyone surprisingly did not seem to think of me as an American. maybe because I don`t look 'too American'? maybe, but since i spoke in Italian, maybe they saw me as one, or maybe they just saw me as a family member. who knows, but I wasn`t the least uncomfortable and they treated me no different than the rest. They still use the backward hand jesture. hahaha
That`s all for now
Anonymous

Postby Em » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:48 pm

OK, that settles it. Next time you go, I'm going with you.

What an absolutely wonderful experience!!!!

I began researching my family last year, and every new thing I discover is like a treasure. But you've been able to actually experience your history, not to mention your present, and (I don't doubt) your future. Thank you so much for sharing it. (And I'm eagerly awaiting parts 3, 4 . . . ) :D
Last edited by Em on Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Em

Postby Em » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:33 am

sorry this was a double
Em

Postby ejd » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:08 am

Angiolo, thanks for your translation. I'm going to have to print both yours and Muddoni's out and compare with the original, not for any reasons of accuracy, but so I can look at and hopefully learn about the nuances in the language.

Gabrielle: what a wonderful trip. I forget if you mentioned this already, but are you planning on moving back permanently?
ejd

Postby Anonymous » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:27 am

Yes, I plan on moving back permanently, that is, once my citizenship is recognized. The quality of life there is just too good to talk about in a few sentences. Of course I can only speak of MY comune, where I stayed for months, but I am sure the lifestyle is similiar in most of Italy. That is not to say there are not the "undesirable" sections. But, every country has them.
Anonymous

Postby ejd » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:01 am

Yep. Every country certainly has undesireable areas. And, most countries have their good and bad points. I guess it's just a matter of which place aligns best with your values, beliefs, and philosophy of life.

I find it interesting when I read the Lonely Planet Travel Guide to Italy and on one page you'll read something like "This city is best viewed in the dead of night" or "This city is best seen in your rear-view mirror as you drive out of town", but on another page you'll read things like "The stunningly beautiful Ascoli Piceno".

I've only ever seen the Italy one sees on vacation. Someday, I have to go back for a longer period, particularly if I discover that I still have family relations there. My family name is extinct in Gildone (province of Campobasso), but my great grandmother's name still exists in Cercepiccola (also Campobasso), and as I understand it, there are still some relations of my maternal great-grandfather in Acquasanta Terme (province of Ascoli Piceno/Le Marche Region).

From what I've learned from people on this and other lists Italy seems to be very well suited for those who want to scale down and simplify their lives, who want a slower pace of life, and who want a more family/community-centered rather than consumer-centered lifestyle. There are trade-offs like more bureacracy in some instances, shops having shorter hours, etc, but if you're wanting to scale down your life, this stuff doesn't matter as much to you anyway. Am I getting an accurate picture?
ejd

Postby Anonymous » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:31 pm

Yes, scaled down is fairly accurate, but it depends on WHERE in Italy, as Rome can be bustling and busy. However, even businesses in Rome will close for a couple hours each day, and life still seems somewhat slower than in the US. Many "travel guides", do not depict an accurate vision of Italian life, as they tend to direct people to the tourist places, just as we do with Disney World. That is far from what Italy is about, especially if you go into the small 'out-of-the-way' villages. Many remote areas depict an Italian lifestyle that is like 200 years ago, as they do not have the modern conveniences, and some areas do not have internet service, or cable. There is one remote mountain village, where they still use oxen for plowing, that is not far from my own comune. One thing I will point out though, is that for Artists, Writers, etc, who want a very quiet and serene location, love the remote areas of Italy, where life seems to stand still for them, to concentrate. Another thing is the COST. In the remote areas, things are CHEAP. a 2 bedrm apartment is waiting for me at 110 euro. A great meal is less than 10 euro, which includes a bottle of wine and apetizers, like fried peppers. I was invited to jopin my family at a restaurant, and they paid 37 euro for 5 people, and that included a bottle of wine and apetizers (fried peppers and onions). However, I doubt that I could have this in Rome for under 115 euro. There is no "un sedia" (a chair) charge in the remote areas in restaurants, but in Naples there is, which could be another 2-3 euro.
Anyway, I have been all over the US and still cannot find as good food or lifestyle that beats Italy. Olive Garden is far from being 'Italian', and would probably have empty seats if they opened in Italy. Italians love to eat, and they will not settle for what we call "diner food". This is a major difference in every day life
Anonymous

Postby ejd » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:00 pm

I'm going to move this discussion to the "Living and Working In Italy" forum as this thread is well past being related to "qualifying" for citizenship...

I'll start a "Life in Italy" thread there.

Ed
ejd

Postby Muddoni » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:09 pm

You forgot the most important part in the Government program:

"...now we are working, incorportating different political perspectives, on an hypothesis that I think merits to be explored in depth. That is, to subordinate such recognition to basic knowledge of Italian."

(from the webpage of the ministry of foreign affairs)

'Recognition' refers in Italian to the jure sanguinis method.

Keep it up with your Italian studies and best luck to you all!

M
Muddoni

Postby mw159 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:47 am

Hum, sorry still only law applies to immigration law Not to jure sanguinis!
jure sanguinis are not immigrats.
nice try , you should stay in Italia and not venture onto an American Brd.
mw159

Postby Anonymous » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:35 am

what is this about?
Anonymous

Previous

Return to Qualifying