Become American before Italian? Any implications?

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Become American before Italian? Any implications?

Postby daniloribeiro » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:47 pm

I need clarification regarding a topic in the Italian law, and my qualification to Italian citizenship.

I hold a Brazilian passport, and I am currently a permanent resident in the United States (i.e. Green Card). My permanent residency is through marriage and I already qualify to become a US citizen, but I have not started the process yet. I am an Italian descendant, and I would like to start the Italian citizenship recognition process as soon as I can gather all the necessary paper work.

My question is: do I automatically renounce my Italian Citizenship if I become American (does the order of events matter)? I came across law 91 art 11 from 1992 that states any Italian citizen who acquired or reacquired a foreign citizenship after August 15, 1992 would not lose his or her Italian citizenship. Does this take care of my problem?

Regards,

Danilo
daniloribeiro

Re: Become American before Italian? Any implications?

Postby lobezno » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:36 pm

Yes, the 1992 law ameliorates any issue regarding loss of Italian citizenship.
lobezno

Postby daniloribeiro » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:31 am

Thanks for the prompt reply.

And how does that affect my unborn children? If I become an American citizen and they are born after the fact, will they still have the right to become Italian citizens? The reason why I ask is because one of the requirements to qualify for Italian citizenship is that no one in your direct lineage can be naturalized before the birth of the next person in the lineage.
daniloribeiro

Postby lobezno » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:11 am

After 1992 Italians can naturalize without it affecting anything, including their children's Italian citizenship, unborn or otherwise.

You're good to go. And your kids will be triple citizens as well...

Now I'm envious.
lobezno

Return to Qualifying