Muddy qualification?

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Muddy qualification?

Postby Girolamo59 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:12 pm

My great grandfather was born in Sicily in 1884. He became an American citizen in 1906. He traveled back and forth between the USA and Sicily and his son (my grandfather) was born in Sicily in 1907. My grandfather was issued a US passport on 17 December 1928, and immigrated to the USA in 1929--he was told he was automatically a US citizen, so never bothered to file for US citizenship. In 1940 he was required by the US Dept of Justice, INS to register as an alien and was issued an Alien Registration card. He wrote to the INS to ask for clarification of his actual citizenship status and in 1943 was told that, pursuant to

"Section 1993 of the Revised Statutes of the US (USC t.8, Sec. 6)...All children... born out of the limits and jurisdiction of the US, whose fathers were or may be at the time of their birth citizens thereof, are declared to be citizens of the US..."

The INS reply goes on to say that "...there is no provision of law whereby documentary evidence of citizenship can be issued to persons who derive citizenship under the provisions of the statute."

My grandfather's daughter (my mother) was born in NJ in 1934. I was born in 1960.

Given all the above--my grandfather was born in Sicily, was presumed to automatically be a US citizen and issued a US passport, yet the INS required that he register as an alien and refused to issue proof of citizenship, does anyone have any idea if I might qualify for jure sanguinis?

Thanks for any help or advice provided.

Carl
Girolamo59

Re: Muddy qualification?

Postby Em » Mon May 31, 2010 5:50 pm

Your grandfather derived citizenship from his father (despite the INS error). Because he lost Italian citizenship before the birth of his children, the Italian line ended with him. Is there any other line through which you might qualify?
Em

Return to Qualifying