Help with qualification

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Help with qualification

Postby Piscean » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:33 am

I've scoured the Internet to try to figure out if my boyfriend qualifies for Italian citizenship. We are planning on getting married and moving to Italy so we want to get the paperwork done as soon as possible!

His grandfather was born in Italy but later moved to America. We're not sure if he maintained dual citizenship or only kept his Italian citizenship. His father was born in America in 1958 but has dual citizenship and lives in Italy and Florida.

My boyfriend was born in America in 1982.

So, would he already be eligible so that his father could just go to the Italian consulate in Florida to do the paperwork, or does my boyfriend have to go through the whole process and if so, does he just do it back to his father or does he have to go back to his grandfather or great- grandfather?

Thanks SO much for any help!!!!
Piscean

Re: Help with qualification

Postby CPA21 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:22 am

Your boyfriend is eligible for citizenship through his father. He needs to provide an apostilled birth certificate with a translation. He and, possibly, his father will be asked to complete and sign some forms. The most difficult part of the process is the waiting, first for the appointment and then for the recognition. My son applied for recognition through me last June. He is still waiting to hear.
CPA21

Postby Piscean » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks so much for your response! I was concerned that because his father was an American citizen before he was born that he wouldn't be eligible.

The part that throws me off is the naturalization part. It's so confusing!

Here's what I learned from my boyfriend's father:

"My grandfather never came to the USA, he was always an italian citizen. He never naturalized any citizenship. My dad was born in France but immediately brought back to Italy where because of his dad (my grandfather) he became an italian citizen. My dad moved to the states where he became an american citizen. But because of his original italian citizenship I had a right to become one. I have had an italian passport since 2002."

Does that sound like we can still go through his father?

Thanks again and I hope your son's citizenship comes through soon!
Piscean

Postby CPA21 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:55 pm

If his father was born in America and has dual citizenship then the son is also entitled to Italian citizenship.
CPA21

Return to Qualifying