Australian Father, Italian Grandfather

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Australian Father, Italian Grandfather

Postby adamtrovato » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:31 pm

Good morning,

I meet the below category for qualification of Italian Citizenship. I just wanted to know if my father applies he's Italian citizenship/passport prior to my application, if that would make the process easier and/or change the requirements for me to obtain citizenship?

CATEGORY #3: Your father was born in your native country (Australia), your paternal grandfather was an Italian citizen at the time of his birth, and neither you nor your father ever renounced your right to Italian citizenship.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Adam
adamtrovato

Re: Australian Father, Italian Grandfather

Postby Em » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:45 am

The procedure for your father is the same as the procedure for you, and if you reside in the same consular jurisdiction, it makes sense to apply together. If, however, your father does apply first, it simplifies the paperwork for you.
Em

Postby adamtrovato » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Thank you Em, much appreciated.

If my Father does not apply, am I able to obtain to stil obtain citizenship? or can it only be done (either together or after) my father processes the application?

Thanks
Adam
adamtrovato

Postby Em » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:03 pm

Your father is not obliged to apply. My father didn't when I appled, but he did complete a "Declaration of Living Ascendent" for the NY consulate. There is probably a similar document in Australia.
Em

Return to Qualifying