Qualicication Through Ascendancy

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Qualicication Through Ascendancy

Postby lje2 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks to everyone who answered my previous questions. Now, I just have one more....My son-in-law has all the necessary documents for his family's citizenship application through his grandfather. Their appointment in SF is January, 2012. Per paragraph 6 (see below) of the "PREPARE FOR AN APPOINTMENT" page on this website, it would seem that I too may qualify for citizenship at the same time as my daughter's family through ascendancy. Is this correct?
" 6. If you are applying for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis along with the parent or grandparent falling in a direct line between you and your Italian ancestor, he or she will automatically acquire citizenship, as will any of your children under the age of eighteen. Neither your parent nor your grandparent nor your children under the age of eighteen needs to fill out a separate application, though this requirement may vary from consulate to consulate. Your parent or grandparent should have already filled out supplementary Form 3: Declaration of a Living Italian Ascendant Born Outside of Italy if you are using ICGS' general application form. If you are applying along with siblings, they must submit separate applications, but you can use one set of ancestors' certificates for you and your siblings' applications."
Grazie in anticpico....Giovanni
lje2

Re: Qualicication Through Ascendancy

Postby Em » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:25 am

Actually, only your son-in-law will be applying at that time, and he will also be applying on behalf of his minor children. If your daughter and son-in-law married before 1983, her citizenship (through marriage) is automatic. If not, she will have to apply for citizenship after his citizenship is recognized. This is a naturalization process that generally takes two years or longer.

Everyone in your son-in-law's direct citizenship line is eligible for citizenship recognition, but they must submit their own applications for this to become official. You are not in his direct citizenship line and cannot qualify through him. Nor are you eligible through your daughter if she is claiming citizenship through marriage.

You, and your daughter, can apply jure sanguinis if you qualify in that manner.
Em

Return to Qualifying