Citizenship via Great Great Grandfather

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Citizenship via Great Great Grandfather

Postby eleohner » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:55 pm

My Great Great Grandfather was born in Italy, he immigrated the US, had children, and then became a naturalized citizen of the US (Immigrated sometime in the 1890s, I believe). He would have passed on citizenship to his children. My great grandparents had my grandmother in 1933, and my mother was born in 1957. Could I qualify for citizenship?
eleohner

Re: Citizenship via Great Great Grandfather

Postby CPA21 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:44 am

You must demonstrate that he naturalized after the birth of your GM. A naturalization certificate and the Declaration, Petition, and Oath of Allegiance would normally provide sufficient proof.

When your GGF come to the USA did he come with his father? How old was your GGF when he immigrated? If your GGF was a minor when he arrived and was accompanied by his father you would possibly be asked to provide documentation regarding your GGGF's naturalization.
CPA21

Postby Leila » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:29 pm

Hello, I too am trying to obtain citizenship through my great grand father, he to immigrated to the us, met my italian GGM, had my grandfather in the US, then moved back to Italy. My Grandfather was duel until 18, then gave up his Italian to move back to the states to start his own family. My GGF was only in the states for 3 years and never became naturalized, my question is: Do I still go through my GGF? And prove he was never naturalized, or is there a way to go through just my Grandfather?
Leila

Postby CPA21 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:11 pm

If your Grandfather has a US birth certificate he was brn a US citizen. You would need to prove that he received his citizenship through his father. You would also need to demonstrate that your GGF did not naturalize begore your grandfather was born. Depending on the consulate demonstrating that your grandfather had italian citizenship might be satisfactory but the standard for non-naturalization is a certificate on nonexistence issued by USCIS.

Can you document the travels of your GGF and grandfather? Is your grandfather still alive?

What year or years was your GGF in the US? I suggest that you start with USCIS genealogy program working on your GGF.
CPA21

Postby Em » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:46 am

elehoner, it's important, too, to determine exactly when your ggf naturalized. In more and more consulates, any naturalization before 1912 disqualifies all children no matter when they were born.
Em

Postby epasqueno » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:50 pm

HELP! I keep reading that I qualify through my great great grandfather, but the application from the consulate only allows me to select back as far as a great grandparent. My great grandfather was born in the U.S. to 2 Italian citizens (my great great grandparents). How should I go about filling out the application then?
epasqueno

Postby CPA21 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:03 am

Just add a second page to add the earlier generation. Your eligibility is determined by the law, not by the form
CPA21

Postby epasqueno » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:57 am

THANK YOU! I'm just so nervous about following every instruction perfectly on my application. It's nerve-wracking. Anyone know if you can apply again if something is not right the first time? :?
epasqueno

Postby CPA21 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:04 am

Well, it took me three meetings before things worked out.

I have been a dual citizen since last May.
CPA21

Postby epasqueno » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:39 am

Congratulations! It is nice to know they arranged to fix any problems instead of just denying the application. That makes me feel a LITTLE better. How far in advance were your meetings with the consulate? I mean, I will have to travel out of state to meet with my consulate, so this is something of concern....I DON'T want to have to do that more than once.
epasqueno

Postby CPA21 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:02 am

It took me 2 years and 9 months to work through the NYC consulate. I was caught in the Certificate of Nonexistence problem for almost a year. The Consulate did not like the language on teh certificate issued by DHS.
CPA21

Postby epasqueno » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:04 am

Wow...so to fix the problems, did you have to physically go back to the consulate each time? I thought you just need something that says "no records." What did they not like?
epasqueno

Postby CPA21 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:54 pm

I returned to the consulate each time.

If your ancestor did not naturalize you need to obtain a certificate of nonexistence frm DHS. USCIS has a genealogy program. Visit that program for details on how to obtain your ancestor's records and how to obtain the certificate of nonexistence.

You can also learn about the process by searching on the discussion boards on this site; the discussion board at Expats in Italy http://expatsinitaly.com, and the discussion board at Italian Citizenship Message Board http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/index.php
CPA21

Postby epasqueno » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Thank you!
epasqueno

Return to Qualifying