Father has dual citizenship

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Father has dual citizenship

Postby Loridir » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:28 pm

Both parents and all my grandparents were born in Italy. Both parents came to US and became citizens around 1960. I was born in US in 1969. My father got dual citizenship around 1995. Entire family besides my parents still reside in Italy, is there any way I can get dual citizenship through my grandparents? Thanks for any help.
Loridir

Re: Father has dual citizenship

Postby Em » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:43 pm

Unfortunately, the dates don't work for you. Since your parents were naturalized when you were born, they could not pass citizenship to you. When your father reacquired his citizenship in the 1990's, you were an adult and thus could not obtain Italian citizenship with him. You cannot skip generations and use your grandparents. Technically, your only path to Italian citizenship is a three-year residency.

I say "technically" because it's possible--and I stress, only possible--that if your father goes to his comune in Italy, they may be willing to register you, especially since your entire family is living there. The law does not permit this, but the comune will do what it wishes to do, and you never know.
Em

Re: Father has dual citizenship

Postby LookingEast » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:49 am

You could possibly have a proper claim to Italian citizenship if your mother naturalized before she married your father, and your father naturalized after they were married.

In that case, your mother's Italian citizenship would have been renewed by the fact of their marriage. Your mother's Italian citizenship would have persisted after your father's naturalization.

Look to see if the events occurred exactly as follows:
First, your mother became a US citizen.
Next, your mother married your father; so she received dual citizenship at this time.
Next, your father became a US citizen.
LookingEast

Return to Qualifying