DO I QUALIFY?

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

DO I QUALIFY?

Postby nikiz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:44 am

My father and his parents were born in Italy.
The family migrated to Australia and in October 76 my grandparents and father became Australian Citizens.
I was born in Australia in 1985.
Can I qualify for any kind of passport/citizenship?
Thank you for your time.
nikiz

Re: DO I QUALIFY?

Postby Em » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:53 am

Were your parents married before your father's 1976 naturalization? If so, your mother automatically obtained Italian citizenship, and you could qualify through her. Since your father was naturalized before you were born, you cannot qualify through him. You can obtain Italian citizenship by residing in Italy for three years.

One more possibility to consider. There was a window of opportunity between 1992 and 1997 for those who lost citizenship through naturalization to reacquire it by simply applying at an Italian consulate. If your father took advantage of this, you would have been registered as a citizen as well since you were a minor during that period.
Em

Re: DO I QUALIFY?

Postby cornell » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Em, if you have a moment, i would love to have your opinion on the question I posted on 3/14 under the topic Naturalization. I don't know what to do about the discrepancies. I should add too, that NARA and the county courts have no records found for my ancestor. USCIS found nothing under his birth name, they are now searching under alternate spellings.
Any thoughts you can lend would be most appreciated.
thank you!
cornell

Return to Qualifying