Born Out of Wedlock / Still eligible?

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Born Out of Wedlock / Still eligible?

Postby Danny » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:44 pm

Hello all. I am currently looking into applying for dual citizenship in Italy (US citizen here). Both of my paternal grandparents came here from Italy (though separately) and later married. My father was born prior to my grandfather becoming a naturalized citizen. In fact my father is mentioned on his naturalization papers. Here's my problem: my parents were not married when I was born. It was the early 1970s! My father--who is my biological father in case there is any question--is listed on my birth certificate. My parents then got married a few years later and remained married until my father passed away a few years ago.

I'm aware this is probably not a common issue, but does anyone know if this will nullify my rights? I recently tried to obtain an EU passport through my maternal line (not Italian) and was disqualified due to a similar technicality. The thought of going through all the research and fees and filing papers again when it could all be for nothing is really stressing me out. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if the consulate in NYC has English speakers working there? The entire website is in Italian and I'm afraid they'll get really angry with me for bugging them!

Thanks again to everyone.
Danny

Re: Born Out of Wedlock / Still eligible?

Postby LookingEast » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:36 am

It looks as if you qualify for the Italian-American dual citizenship.

Your father must have been born in the United States.

Then, your father must not have altered his citizenship before you were born. If your father altered his citizenship after you were born, then there are more things to consider. In this case, ask.

Your Italian citizenship is not conditioned on whether your parents were married.
LookingEast

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks so much for your response! Calling the embassy is probably the obvious thing to do, but apparently it costs $3 a minute to call here in NYC.

I didn't think their marital status should matter, but it was this same technicality that recently stopped me from getting a German passport, so my stomach is in a bit of a knot about it. As I get closer to having the papers I need, I'll start making more calls.

Thanks again for your help. It's so nice that there are people on the internet willing to help total strangers. I really appreciate it.
Danny

Postby LookingEast » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:32 am

Receiving your acknowledgment of Italian citizenship is typically a difficult thing to do, but it is possible to do.
It involves much diligence and patience, and sometimes a large commitment of money to purchase the vital records.

I would start by contacting Italy for your grandparents' birth certificates. Most birth certificates are free of charge in Italy, so the primary cost should be sending letters. Then, if you are really in NYC, I suggest that you go to the U.S. National Archive in the city to find your grandfather's naturalization papers. Viewing them there is free and printing unofficial copies is inexpensive. This first part of the investigation should help you to decide whether you are eligible, and whether you want to proceed with ordering all of the US vital records (birth, marriage, and death, as applicable, for yourself, your parents, and your Italian grandparents -- all in "long form", with "apostilles", and conforming to the consulate's particular requirements).

If your grandfather naturalized but the Archive cannot show you his papers, then it might mean that he naturalized in a state (not federal) court. In that case, if you do not know which state court, you might have to use the USCIS genealogy program to find out.

Maybe you have finished much of the work already before contacting the German consulate.

Good luck with this undertaking.
LookingEast

Return to Qualifying