Before 1948, but grandma may apply - can I use that?

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Before 1948, but grandma may apply - can I use that?

Postby lbert » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:27 am

Hi guys,

I realize this topic has been beaten to death, but here's my predicament.

I have two Italian lines, one through my grandfather, who I believe naturalized before my father was born and is now deceased
The other is my grandmother - who is still alive, but as my father was born before 1948, did not pass citizenship on to him. My grandmother was born in the states but her parents are both from Italy and it appears did not naturalize before her birth (am double checking), so she would qualify through her father (they would not have naturalized before 1912). So...if she were to apply for citizenship, would my father and I be eligible for application after the fact, or does it still die with her? I have read about cases of people applying through father-in-laws, newly citizen-ized (I realize that's not a word) grandparents, etc, so I was wondering if this also could apply to my case? Thoughts?

Thanks!
lbert

Re: Before 1948, but grandma may apply - can I use that?

Postby lbert » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:02 am

My other option is that potentially, my grandfather was automatically a citizen when his parents naturalized, as the census records make it seem like he naturalized very young. I read about a case on a forum somewhere where someone got their paperwork through because their was no record of naturalization for the grandfather because it was obtained through the parents. Thoughts and how do I check on this? Just request the record and hope it comes up "no record"?
lbert

Return to Qualifying