Need clarif on naturalization rules

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Need clarif on naturalization rules

Postby gigi425 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:32 pm

My father was born in Italy in 1919. His parents (my grandparents) were also born in Italy. They emigrated to US in 1920.

My grandfather became naturalized, and his family (wife and children) included on same document, sometime in 1920-1935.

My father served in WWII. Did that make him an American citizen, or did he retain dual citizenship, and can anyone tell me how to find out? He died in 1986.

I was born in 1964.

I really don't know where to start, so any advice would be helpful. I do not have my father's birth certificate. I have no idea what document he used to join the military.

Thanks in advance for your help....
gigi425

Re: Need clarif on naturalization rules

Postby CPA21 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:49 pm

Your father became a US citizen and lost his Italian citizenship when his father naturalized. You cannot claim Italian citizenship through your father.
CPA21

Postby jmstn1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:54 am

Gigi,

Your situation is VERY similar to mine. (Look for my post under Success Stories.) I disagree with CPA, and I have the new Italian Passport to prove it! None of us would disagree that your father was an Italian citizen at birth. Further HE did NOT relinquish this citizenship when your Grandfather did (after your Father was already born in Italy). Continue with your research. Get your Fathers Birth Documents from Italy. Research your Fathers American citizenship attempts (if any). The few facts that you have provided appear to lean in your favor! Continue On!

Jmstn1
jmstn1

Postby gigi425 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks to all!
gigi425

Return to Qualifying