Any hope for changes in qualifying? Natruralized Grandfather

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Any hope for changes in qualifying? Natruralized Grandfather

Postby Scordia » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:03 pm

I am sure there are thousands of others hoping for this same thing. Is there any legislation which may open Jure Sanguinis or repatriation to ancestors of a person who did become naturalized? My mom's father was born in Sicily, his father never immigrated and he was brought to the US as a child with his mother. He became naturalized many years later, but unfortunately, he was naturalized before my mother's birth.

All of the other family have retained their Italian citizenship or actually have remained in Sicily. It seems such a cruel separation to not extend duel citizenship on the single point of naturalization by my grandfather. (Speaking generally, the pressure to become naturalized after immigrating to the US seems to have a strong argument of having done so without any real intent of completely losing their origins, I'm surprised that this is considered such a strict servering of ties between a native born person and their country. Of course now days you can naturalize without renouncing, it would seem logical to not hold past naturalized persons to it unless they had explicitly wanted to. )

Is there any hope that the qualifications for duel citizenship are being altered or opened slightly?

Do you know of any way which I can become a duel citizen?

One more question, I was married in Italy. Could this help in any way? We are both US citizens. (This was not a ceremonial wedding. We went through all the legal obligations to make the actual ceremony the legally recognized union in Italy/USA/EU)

[Origins: Scordia Sicily. Mom born in US. Grandfather and all previous ancestors were born in Scordia or Catania Sicily and are Italian citizen. Parents of grandfather (great grandparents) were not naturalized - he never traveled to the US and died young in Scordia, she stayed in the US and died in US. She remarried an Italian citizen who was never naturalized]
Scordia

Re: Any hope for changes in qualifying? Natruralized Grandfa

Postby CPA21 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:51 am

Did your grandfather naturalize before he married your grandmother? If he had not naturalized on his wedding day your grandmother became an Italian citizen through marriage. If this is true and your mather was born 1948 or later you may have a path to citizenship!
CPA21

Re: Any hope for changes in qualifying? Natruralized Grandfa

Postby Scordia » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:05 pm

We have found an application for naturalization in 1939. If we assume he did naturalized (Boooo!) then he did so before he married in 1944 and did so before my Mom was born in 1946. I am ordering the search through NARA now, but have found the info from Ancestry.com.
Scordia

Return to Qualifying