How do I find out of ancestor returned to Italy - maybe dual

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

How do I find out of ancestor returned to Italy - maybe dual

Postby Scordia » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Hello - I have a grandfather who has a long period of non-contact/lost-time that has never been explained. He immigrated from Sicily in 1912 at the age of 3, and we have documentation of him in Chicago up until abt 1950. Then poof - he's off the map. He later returns and we have a US death certificate for him.

Suspicions are that maybe he traveled back to Italy. I am not sure how I can confirm this. Our extreme hope is that he returned to Italy and maybe even regained his Italian citizenship. Has anyone else had this happen in their ancestry searches? How can I find out if someone had dual citizenship? Or, at least, how can I find out if he traveled back to Italy. (There is nothing on ancestry.com showing an immigration record for him)
Scordia

Re: How do I find out of ancestor returned to Italy - maybe

Postby CPA21 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:47 am

Did he naturalize prior to 1950? Did his father naturalize before your grandfather's 21st birthday?

Answer these questions first.
CPA21

Postby Scordia » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:34 pm

He might have naturalized prior to 1950, but we are net yet sure. I did find a request for naturalization in 1939 but have not found a naturalization confirmation yet. I've ordered these docs, but will probably not receive a search response for another month or more.

His father (my GGF) was not naturalize. He was born in Sicily and never come to America, he died at a young age. His widow, my gf's mom, did not naturalize. She did remarry. This step-father he was denied naturalization due to "ignorance". I can not find this step-father's burial plot so suspicions are that he returned to Italy.
Scordia

Postby CPA21 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:49 am

OK! What we know is that your GF was taken to america by his widowed mother as a child. We suspect that he was still an Italian citizen as late as 1939 because you have some documents, but not the complete set. The complete set of documents should confirm his naturalization date or no naturalization.

When was your father born? If it was prior to your GP naturalizing you qualify. If your GP naturalized BEORE your father was born we have another set of issues to contend with.

You do not want to pursue his off the map life unless you really need to. You have no idea what you might discover!
CPA21

Postby Scordia » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:01 pm

If we confirm that he naturalized in 1939 (let's assume), then he naturalized before my Mom was born in 1946.
[Her mother (married to my GF) was not Italian. They married in 1944]
Scordia

Postby CPA21 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:12 pm

If your GP naturalized in 1939 and married your non-Italian GM in 1944 your mother would not have Italian citizenship and neither would you.

Do you have a path through your father?
CPA21

Postby Scordia » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:59 pm

No, unfortunately not thru my father. Just mom -> GF.

Do you have suggestions for trying to find out if my GF maybe gained dual citizenship later in life. He was off the map for a very long time. I was hoping he may have returned to Italy for a while. My understanding is that if he had residence in Italy for a period of time, he would qualify for regaining his citizenship. Maybe he did that - how can that be found out?
Scordia

Postby CPA21 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:13 am

If your GF regained his Italian citizenship prior to your mother's 21st birhday you may qualify. Under the law children under age 21 would have received their citizenship then.

I am not an expert on Italian law. You will need a better authority than me to determine if he reacquired citizenship.

Because we all speak English and have US records available make sure that he was not in the US. What was he doing in the years that immediately proceeded his disappearance? Have you checked his Social Security records? Each year that he had covered employment he was most likely in the US. You might also want to check court records for the jurisdictions in and around the area where he lived. For all you know he could have been in prison!

Take this discussion over to http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/index.php

That board has largely replaced this one. You are likely to find more help and better resources there.
CPA21

Postby Scordia » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:48 pm

Great suggestions. These are the types of leads I need and do not have the personal knowledge myself. Iam so glad to have found this site. I am determined to follow every possible lead and search in all the corners to find our answers. I am just heart broken to hear that we are SOL if he indeed naturalized before mom was born. We are so directly connected to Sicily, it seems cruel that we are annexed just because he naturalized a few year before she was born especially being that it would be OK in today's laws. Tears and heartbreak. I just don't see me having the $$$ to live in Italy for 3 years and not be allowed to work (as I understand the laws would require).
Scordia

Return to Qualifying