My mother has dual citizenship do I?

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

My mother has dual citizenship do I?

Postby pavass » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:17 pm

Both my parents were born in Italy. Father 1933(deceased), Mother 1940. They both became naturalized US citizens before 1960. I was born in 1966. After my father passed in 1995 my mother moved back and now has dual US and Italian citizenship. All of my grandparents and great grandparents were Italian citizens. How would I go about gaining dual citizenship? Thanks
pavass

Re: My mother has dual citizenship do I?

Postby CPA21 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:03 am

You do not have dual citizenship. Your mother reacquired her Italian citizenship after your 18th birthday.

You can go about getting dual citizenship by legally residing in Italy for three years and naturalizing.
CPA21

Postby LookingEast » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:08 pm

There could be a case of dual citizenship for the OP if the mother naturalized, and later married the father, who naturalized after the marriage.

A foreign woman marrying an Italian citizen acquired Italian citizenship automatically. The citizenship of an Italian wife did not terminate automatically if her husband naturalized after 1947. A child born to an Italian mother in 1966 was generally born with Italian citizenship.
LookingEast

Postby CPA21 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:27 pm

The mother born in 1940 was natualized before 1960. That means she most likley had derivative citizenship from her parents. Her husband also naturlized before 1960. If her husband was still an Italian citizen on the date of the marriage the wife automatically became an Italian citizen and remained one after her husband naturalized.

Was your father a US citizen on the day he married your mother?
For further discussion you may want to take your questions to this message board. The people on it are better qualified than me to answer many of these questions

http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/index.php
CPA21

Return to Qualifying