Dad became Canadian in 1950s as a minor..

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

Dad became Canadian in 1950s as a minor..

Postby amanda185 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:16 pm

Hello everyone,
I have been looking into getting Italian citizenship for years now, and I find the laws so very frustrating. I love Italy, speak Italian, studied the history, go there every year, have friends and family there, basically leave my heart there each time I leave, and I always thought I was eligible for citizenship but it seems sadly I am not.

My father immigrated with his family in 1952 to Canada at age 9. He got Canadian citizenship soon thereafter (maybe 1952 or 1953) and therefore lost his Italian citizenship. My grandparents got it (and lost their Italian one) in 1960 I was told (when my dad was 17). The lady at the consulate says that the line was broken, but if my dad had been age 18+ when my grandparents lost their Italian citizenship, then it wouldn't have counted as being broken?? Is this true? To me that seems backwards.

If it is true, then I would have to reside in Italy for 3 years. How does this work? I can't work there, so I could study and it would count? But would I be allowed to leave the country in these 3 years or woudl that cause complications? I don't really have 3 years to spend there without working :( Now I wish I had done my university there, had I known..

We also still own my grandparents house in Italy if this helps with anything such as residency..

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you:)

Amanda
amanda185

Return to Qualifying