I am confused.

Are you eligible for Italian Citizenship jure sanguinis?

Moderator: Daniel

I am confused.

Postby Davide » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:08 pm

I just read a post by a person who contacted the Italian Consulate in Houston concerning recognition of Italian citizenship iure sanguinis for himself through his great-grandfather. Since his father is still alive and living in Houston, he was told that his father had to apply first for recognition of Italian citizenship, before he and his family could apply. Could this be correct?

My Grandfather was an Italian citizen at the time of my mother's birth in the USA, and I was born after Jan. 1, 1948. Does this mean that my 81 year old mother has to apply first? I come under the jurisdiction of the Italian Consulate in Houston, but my mother doesn't. Can anyone help me? Thanks for your help.

Davide
Davide

Postby Em » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:08 pm

It does not sound correct to me. Your mother is entitled to have her Italian citizenship recognized, but she is not obligated to do so. She still passes citizenship to you since she was born an Italian.

The poster may have mistated his situation. If your mother wishes to have her citizenship recognized, it is indeed advisable that she apply before you; however, you can apply without her doing so. My son submitted his application, and he has two living ascendents who did not.
Em

Postby Davide » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:28 pm

Thank you so very much for your kind reply. From everything which I have read, the information did not seem correct. Certainly, the process for recognition of citizenship de iure sanguinis must be the same in all Italian Consulates thoughtout the world. Once again, thank you for your help.

Davide
Davide

Postby marybary » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:35 am

I have worked with the Houston Consulate before and they are very helpful and willing to answer questions. Your grandmother does not need to apply for citizenship, however, my understanding is that she will need to sign a form letter saying that she does not oppose you getting Italian citizenship.
marybary

Postby marybary » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:11 am

Oops, sorry - I meant your mother doesn't need to apply
marybary

Postby Em » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:08 am

In New York even the ascendent letter was not needed, but every consulate is different.

Em
Em

Return to Qualifying