A new record for SAN FRANCISCO

Share your stories of success with others.

Moderator: Daniel

A new record for SAN FRANCISCO

Postby DoreenJoy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:13 am

I just got the letter! From appointment to receipt, it was one week.

I've wanted to formalize my Italian citizenship for over 30 years so this is a great day for me. I'm going to fill out my AIRE form and apply for a passport next week. And then begin the work of getting my husband's citizenship via marriage.
DoreenJoy

Postby davidlatour » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:54 am

WOW!

My appointment is in 2 weeks! Maybe I'll be officially Italian in 3? :D :D :D
davidlatour

Postby DoreenJoy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:22 am

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, davidlatour!

Mrs Stone was very noncommital with me -- "I'm sure you've heard it can take 2 to 3 years....we are trying a new process so it may be a lot faster." After re-reading my letter, it appears I have already been registered with AIRE and only need to fill out a form if I change my address or family status. As soon as I get the passport, I'll work on getting my husband naturalized.

I suspect SF is now "trusting" the apostilles (as they should,since Italy is part of the Hague convention) and not sending the documents to other consulates for verification.
DoreenJoy

Postby penguindump » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:11 am

Congratulations!!! That is incredibly fast! So it seems my wife and I will be looking for some new historic novels set in England much sooner than imagined :D
penguindump

Postby yjg » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:34 pm

Many congratulations to you! I'm very happy for you. This is certainly good news for us waiting still! Perhaps they will get to us in the old queue much more quickly too! Thanks for posting.
yjg

Postby ciaobella » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Wow - congratulations!

I guess the place to be is in SF!
Kudos to Ms. Stone and the new folks a the Consulate!
ciaobella

Postby DoreenJoy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:45 am

Thanks, everyone. I've been working on this for such a long time (I had a lot of discrepancies on documents that had to be amended) that I can't quite believe it's finally done. I'm fortunate that both of my parents were alive to amend documents (they both used incorrect names and birthplaces on my birth certificate!). I have to say, after dealing with the bureaucracies of Pennsylvania and California, the Italian bureaucracy looks quite efficient by comparison.

I feel for those of you who've been waiting a long time after your appointment to get the letter. I hope that SF starts cranking through the backlog of applications.
DoreenJoy

Postby DoreenJoy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:47 am

penguindump wrote:Congratulations!!! That is incredibly fast! So it seems my wife and I will be looking for some new historic novels set in England much sooner than imagined :D

Thanks, penguindump. You're sweet to remember my profession. :D
DoreenJoy

Postby penguindump » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:14 am

Of course! If you've written anything that I can give to my wife for Christmas, please let me know :D
penguindump

Return to Success Stories