Success in Los Angeles

Share your stories of success with others.

Moderator: Daniel

Success in Los Angeles

Postby Pagliari » Mon May 18, 2009 9:40 pm

I am happy to inform you all that today I received a call from someone in the citizenship office, I don't think it was Raffaella as she sounded different, who said that they were puzzled because they had sent out my letter of citizenship to me and the post office had returned it to them today. I am not sure why it was returned as the address she repeated was correct. Unfortunatly my worst fear about the post office screwing up my citizenship letter has become reality.

The good news however was what I focused on. If my citizenship letter was sent to me and then came back, that means that my case must have been approved for at least a few days now so I was a citizen and didn't even know it. And as if reading my thoughts while I was listenting to the woman in the recording, she added, your case is completed and we sent you the official letter of citizenship.

For those who are wondering I applied in Oct 08 and was told a month and a half ago that they would try to expidite my case since I didn't have a lot of docs as I was attaching myself to my dad's citizenship which was approved by the Philly consulate in Nov 08. For those interested my docs included: my dad's letter of citizenship, my birth certificate, a notorized statement from my dad stating that he had not renounced his citizenship, my marriage licence, my marriage certificate and my statement saying never to have renounced citizenship as well as a form listing my line of citizenship. For a list of all of the docs submitted by my dad which proved our line of citizenship, please see my earlier post, "Success for my dad in Philly."

Grazie and I am still keeping my fingers crossed for those of you who are still waiting.
Pagliari

Re: Success in Los Angeles

Postby yjg » Mon May 18, 2009 10:06 pm

Congratulations! At least it went back to the consulate so they could inform you by phone instead of being lost without anyone's knowledge!! Enjoy your new dual citizenship! So, did you make a list of your ancestry for the consulate or did you take copies of all the docs your dad turned in to Philadelphia? My son and sister will be applying in LA after my recognition and was wondering what they required besides my letter and their own documents.
yjg

Postby penguindump » Mon May 18, 2009 10:37 pm

Awesome, congratulations!
penguindump

Postby apls » Mon May 18, 2009 11:40 pm

Congrats! That is good news for you. I'm hopefully not too far behind…
apls

Postby Em » Tue May 19, 2009 8:11 pm

That's great! Congratulations.
Em

Postby Pagliari » Tue May 19, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks everyone. YJG, as I mentioned at the end of my post, I was required to fill out some form (found on the consulates website) listing the line of succession through which I was applying, however, I didn't have to bring in the docs for my nonno and bisnonno and most of my dad's as my dad already presented those in Philly.
Pagliari

Postby yjg » Tue May 19, 2009 8:50 pm

Thanks and congrats again, Pagliari. I will get on the website and look for that form.
yjg

Postby Pagliari » Wed May 20, 2009 9:21 pm

Just an update. Received my letter today along with the certificate that I requested. I think that the possibility that the consulate suggested might be the reason it was returned the first time. This is due to the fact that it was sent in my maiden name and the Italian documents processed my case under my maiden name since Italian women do not take their husbands' names when they marry like many of us do here. Sometimes the post office for some reason will return something if it is not directly addressed to mine or my husband's name and I have never lived here under my married name. Interestingly enough both the certificate and letter were signed by one Monica Pescatori and not Raffaella. I am not sure why but I am glad to have both. They also sent me an AIRE form and said I must fill it out, I am not sure why. Anyone know? Also, for those who got their passports in LA does anyone know if they still require you to wait two months? Both the letter and Raffaella told me I must wait two months but I think their website says one month.
Pagliari

Postby Tiffany » Wed May 20, 2009 11:45 pm

All Italian citizens residing abroad must be registered with AIRE. AIRE stands for Anagrafe degli Italiani Residenti all'Estero.
Tiffany

Postby Pagliari » Fri May 22, 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks Tiff. I decided to ask my dad about this and he said that he got an AIRE form but that on his everything was already filled and the note at the bottom said to only notify the consulate if the info was incorrect.
Pagliari

Postby Tiffany » Sat May 23, 2009 2:26 am

Pagliari wrote:Thanks Tiff. I decided to ask my dad about this and he said that he got an AIRE form but that on his everything was already filled and the note at the bottom said to only notify the consulate if the info was incorrect.

Sounds like Philly must have done it for him whereas LA wants you to do it yourself. Sorry!
Tiffany

Postby Pagliari » Sat May 23, 2009 12:17 pm

Yeah, oh well. I am just happy to have my citizenship.
Pagliari

Postby Christina » Sat May 23, 2009 10:20 pm

Congrats Pagliari! Glad everything worked out ok.
Christina

Postby Pagliari » Sun May 24, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks.
Pagliari

Postby CJC » Tue May 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Congrats Pagliari! This is excellent news for the folks waiting in LA for a letter.

I'm not sure why they would make you wait 2-months to apply for the passport unless they are like Philadelphia and send you the recognition letter before the documents are registered in Italy. My guess is one reason could be, among many possible reasons, is to avoid a situation like I had where I got my letter, the comune faxed the consulate asking, "Why do we have to record these?", having you show up to apply for the passport after the comune does this, therefore making the consulate delay your passport application/processing.

Whew!

I'm sure after all the waiting to get the letter that the 2-month wait will be trivial for you. I'm very happy that you're nearly at the end of the process. :D
CJC

Location: Northern California, USA (Applied at Philadelphia consulate)

Next

Return to Success Stories