4 months

Share your stories of success with others.

Moderator: Daniel

4 months

Postby jfrancia » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:42 pm

received today (23 Aug 2009)a recognition letter and AIRE forms from the Detroit consulate. Exactly 4 months after our appointment. I though it would take a bit longer due to there being 7 people applying, name changes, divorce and of course different spellings of an Italian name. But everything seemed to turn out alright.

All the hours searching the internet for info, spending the hundreds of dollars and driving all about the midwest certainly seems to have been worth it now. 8)
and of course this forum certainly gave the most useful information.
jfrancia

Re: 4 months

Postby leighcowden » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:48 am

Didn't they care that you moved out of their jurisidiction? Or didn't they know? Did they mail your letter to Japan? Sorry, it's just that I've always wondered what happens if you move out of the consulate's jurisdiction while they are in the process of going through your paperwork! :)
leighcowden

Postby jfrancia » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:31 pm

Well detroit didnt know that i had left their jurisdiction. But the letter was sent to my parents house in Ohio stating that we were all registered there. After my parents received the letter, I went to the embassy in Tokyo and applied for AIRE here. I told them that I was registered in Detroit but wished to switch to Japan.
jfrancia

Postby Ldinuzzo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:56 pm

How long did it take you to get the passport after you did the AIRE at the consolate in Japan? So they sent the forms to your parents...they sent them to you...and then u filled them out and too them to the italian embassy in Japan and also applied for your passport at the same time? Will you have to go back to the embassy to pick up the passport or can they just mail it to you?
Ldinuzzo

Postby jfrancia » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:28 pm

I haven't received my passport yet. But when it does come, I will go directly to the embassy to pick it up, but they can mail it out as well. The Italian embassy is only a 10 min walk from my school, which is rather convenient. They said they would email me when it comes in 8-10 weeks apparently.

what happened was after the forms were sent to my parents, I went to the Italian embassy website here and printed off their AIRE and passport form. there are different forms for different embassies.

went to the embassy and turned all of them in. But since they had not handled my citizenship paperwork, they had no record of me being Italian citizen. But they did take the forms and said "please bring us your Italian birth cert when it does arrive to you." so apparently, they still filed for my passport without technically any proof of me being a citizen. what i think they did was contact the Detroit consulate or my commune in Sicily to make sure that it was true.

anyways, I have paid for my passport, and expect it to arrive soon. Also my cousin in Sicily just sent me out my birth cert today. Apparently it just got finalized there. yeah my situation was kind of different than most peoples i think.
jfrancia

Postby jfrancia » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:18 pm

I guess the original estimate that they said of 8-10 weeks for the passport to come was way off. maybe that was an intern that told me the estimate or something like that. it only took 15 minutes!

at the Italian Embassy in Tokyo, I turned in my passport application and paid 11,500 Yen (130 USD), then just sat in the lobby for about 15 minutes. Then the teller comes out with my passport!! fresh off the printer. wow it looks great.
jfrancia

Return to Success Stories