I am in! Thanks to you all!

Share your stories of success with others.

Moderator: Daniel

I am in! Thanks to you all!

Postby jmstn1 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:03 am

Yes, it took years...including a visit to the Chicago consulate, vice consul and even my commune in Italy, etc., etc., but my passport arrived yesterday! This board has been invaluable. To all of those, like me, who stop in here for advice, clarification, and moral support, do not give up...hang in there...it can/will happen to you too! By the way I was told "NO" at first, but I just hung in and kept providing further documentation. Honestly, I still can not fully believe that I have an Italian Passport...Good Luck to all who pass through here.
jmstn1

Re: I am in! Thanks to you all!

Postby LAROCCAML » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:36 pm

How long did it take the entire process through the Chicago consulate?

Congrats!!!!!!
LAROCCAML

Postby jmstn1 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:50 am

I know that this will be hard to hear, but it took me 7 years!
jmstn1

Postby LAROCCAML » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:00 pm

Why so long? Were there any discrepancies?
Sorry to ask, but I know people who did the entire process in 7 to 10 months.
I was just wondering.

Thank you and again Congrats!!!!!
LAROCCAML

Postby jmstn1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Where do I start...Firstly, my original translations were not done accurately... that was corrected and mailed in, whereupon my application sat while staff changed...I made an appointment at the Consulate and found out that my file had been incorrectly "rejected"...upon clarifying my submittals, a slight name change needed further documentation...and finally the comune informed me that they needed further documentation/information from the Consulate before they could proceed!

My advice, for whatever it is worth:
1.) ALWAYS visit the consulate for submittal of the packet (I believe that this is required now).
2.) Adopt a more "European Attitude" toward this process. Relax, follow the rules precisely, and present yourself professionally.

During my visit to the Consulate I witnessed NUMEROUS Visa applicants who were being rejected, for one reason or another, typically because they did not fully read the directions and submit EVERYTHING that was being asked for. Now looking at that situation, and transposing it to the Citizenship process, I can only suggest that a meticulous review of your own documents prior to submittal is strongly recommended.
3.) Read about the experiences of others on this forum in visiting their Consulate. This proved INVALUABLE to me...particularly the advice to not be in a hurry on the day of the appointment...you will be called eventually...

Buona Fortuna to all who are working their way through this process!
Last edited by jmstn1 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmstn1

Postby Leon » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:16 pm

well done.........what were your circumstances? I was also told no then maybe, then no, I am still waiting after nearly 30 years because of the 1948 rule??

Cheers......Leon
Leon

Return to Success Stories