Notarizing Certified Naturalization Certificate

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Notarizing Certified Naturalization Certificate

Postby lisotta » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:41 pm

I have a certified copy of my great-grandfather's naturalization certificate and I would like to have it notarized, and then apostilled so that I can file in Italy. Am I able to have any clerk of court notarize this or do I need to send it to some clerk of court in Washington, DC? Thanks.
lisotta

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:31 am

I do not believe either notarization or an apostille is required for a certificate of naturalization.

http://www.expatsinitaly.com/citizenship/jure.html
ALL documents EXCEPT your Italian ancestors Birth Certificate AND Certificate of Naturalization MUST have Apostilles attached.
Tiffany

Postby Giuseppe » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:29 pm

If you are applying in Italy, you will most definitely need to have it apostilled. You mentioned that it’s certified. If so, you may be able to have the Dept. of State apostille it; however, I think there may be restrictions on older documents. Is it the original copy of the naturalization certificate? If State is unwilling to do it because of the age of the document, I’ve read that you can write out a statement saying that to the best of your knowledge that the document is a certified true copy of the original, and attach it (your statement) to the document. You then have your statement notarized (with the document attached), and send it to the Secretary of State’s office for an apostille. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Best,
Giuseppe

Here is some info that I received from State. You may want to contact them directly to see if they will be able to assist you.

The Department of State, Authentications Office is responsible for signing and issuing certificates under the Seal of the U.S. Department of Sate (22 CFR, Part 131) providing authentication services to U.S. citizens and foreign nationals on documents that will be used overseas. This office receives a variety of documents from commercial organizations, private citizens, and officials of the Federal and State governments. Documents include but not limited to: company bylaws, powers of attorney, trademarks, diplomas, transcripts, distributorship agreements, articles of incorporation, good standing certificates, home studies, letters of reference etc. It also ensures that the requested information will serve in the interest of justice and is not contrary to U.S. policy.

Fees
The authentication fee is $7.00 per document. A personal/company check or money order made payable to the U.S. Department of State must be submitted with document. Visa and Mastercard are accepted for Walk-in Service only.

Mail Service
The Authentication of documents takes approximately 3 business days to process from time of receipt**. Please include a cover-letter with your name, telephone number, address and email address. Please indicate the name of the country where the document will be used. We suggest using a self-addressed stamped envelope for faster return of your documents. Documents received without a return envelope and postage will be returned through the State Department regular mail, which can result in a 2-3 week delay. You can use DHL, Fed/Ex, UPS and express mail services for faster receipt/return of your documents. However, you must enclose a prepaid airbill and envelope.

Mailing Address
U.S. Department of State
Authentications Office
518 23rd Street, N.W. SA-1
Washington, D.C. 20520

** U.S. Postal mail entering the U.S. Department of State must go through a screening process which may delay the time in which we will receive the document.

For additional information, call the Federal Information Center: 1-800-688-9889, and choose option 6 after you press 1 for touch tone phones.
Giuseppe

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:38 pm

Sorry, I did not realize she was in Italy. Where is Latina?
Tiffany

Postby lisotta » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:44 pm

Tiffany, Latina is about one hour south of Rome.
lisotta

Return to Naturalization