Naturalization Documents

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Naturalization Documents

Postby Jimm » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:35 pm

I have copies of my grandfather's declaration of Intention, Petition for Naturalization and Oath of Allegence card. I got these from the Great Lakes Region archives in Chicago. What I'm wondering is if it is necessary to get the Certificate of Naturalization from Washington since the copies of the documents I have now do demonstrate that he was not a US citizen when my mother was born.
Jimm

Naturalization Documents

Postby ciottimark » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:03 pm

It will depend on the consulate that you are applying with. I submitted the Naturalization Petition which shows the date of naturalization on the second page. The consulate I applied at said that all I needed was an official certified document showing his date of naturalization. Since they were willing to accept this I provided them the official copy with the ribbon and seal. This considering that I have been waiting 4 months plus on my FOIA request without a response.
ciottimark

Postby jimm » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:04 pm

Thanks ciottimark, I'm about to bring everything into the consulate and see what they say.
jimm

Return to Naturalization