Form G-639

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Form G-639

Postby Anonymous » Mon May 30, 2005 11:31 pm

The form G-639 asks for "Alien Registration #" and "Petition or Claim Receipt #". What are these, and how do I get them so I can complete and submit the form? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous

Naturalization Record

Postby Giovanni » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:46 pm

If you don't have those items, you can still send in your request. It most likely will just take a little longer. My grandfather was never naturalized and I have requested the records from DC and have been waiting 7 months and still no reply!

Giovani
Giovanni

Postby ciaostatiuniti » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:09 pm

7 months?!
Yup, it's been 6 months for me.
Makes you wonder if you are truly going through the waiting notions or if DC simply is ignoring these requests.
Maybe time to send for a second time.

RE: original question, for the G form, I didn't fill 'em in when I sent to DHS, Lees Summit, MO and I did receive the copy of the Certificate of Naturalization, albeit a very bad photocopy from microfiche, therefore why I put in a request to BCIS in DC.
From what I've been told by DHS, they only have the certs on microfiche, any originals (the second original, first being the one given to the new citizen) are located at BCIS, but have fun!
You see here, so far 6 mos. and 7 mos. and still not even a single response. They did receive my envelope as I made sure to track it.
Wow, makes you feel a bit hopeless. That is though assuming a junky photocopy is not good enough.
The Petition for Naturalization and the Declaration of Intent nicely certified and sealed with a red ribbon from NARA was not good enough for my consulate rep!!! So I'm on the hunt for a certified Certificate of Naturalization. I really don't think that junky xerox would be good enough for the consulate. Also, if you have to have it apostilled, I think they want a certified copy.
Now assuming BCIS in DC is the only hope for this.....well, that's sad news.

Good luck!
Ciao! :)
ciaostatiuniti

Postby jvs_2003 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:00 pm

I really don't think that junky xerox would be good enough for the consulate. Also, if you have to have it apostilled, I think they want a certified copy.

Just so you know, Certificates of Naturalization is a document that does not need an Apostille. I've just gotten my citizenship through the Boston Consulate and was lucky enough to already have my great grandfather's Certificate of Naturalization. They actually take the photocopy of it, but I was told that he needed to look at the original. That is exactly what he did and then gave the original back to me. I'd suggest you talk to your consulate to ask about the possibility of using a photocopy.

Good luck!
jvs_2003

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:47 am

So I've got certified copies (albeit from NARA) of both my great-grandfather's AND my great-grandmother's naturalization papers. I'm going to be going through the Boston consulate (I am moving back to the east coast) because San Francisco is just ridiculous in terms of how unresposive they are.

What naturalization records do I actually need for the Boston consulate? Are they going to want copies of the certificate, or will certified copies of papers and indices be enough. These records contain everything you could possibly want to know. And they're signed by the judge that admitted them as US citizens.

Anyone else who can shed light on the requirements here please speak up.

Also, if I need to get another copy of the certificates of naturilzation where should I request that from? From my reading here, all you're going to get from the FOIA office in Lee's Summit, MO is lousy photocopies. How does one get in touch with BCIS? Is there any chance that the courthouse where they were naturalized will still have the original certificates?

HELP!

Thanks,
-chris
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:49 pm

jvs_2003 wrote:
I really don't think that junky xerox would be good enough for the consulate. Also, if you have to have it apostilled, I think they want a certified copy.

Just so you know, Certificates of Naturalization is a document that does not need an Apostille. I've just gotten my citizenship through the Boston Consulate and was lucky enough to already have my great grandfather's Certificate of Naturalization. They actually take the photocopy of it, but I was told that he needed to look at the original. That is exactly what he did and then gave the original back to me. I'd suggest you talk to your consulate to ask about the possibility of using a photocopy.

Good luck!

Did the Boston Consulate require just a statement of No Records from the USCIS, or did they require some of the other documents (e.g. census records, national archive records) that I have found reference to on the web?
Anonymous

any more information?

Postby Anonymous » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:49 pm

I recently requested true certified copies of my grandfather's naturalization papers. I sent in the 639 to the USCIS center in Lee Summit, Mo., but now I'm worried I didn't send it to the right place. I called the center, but the wait was 45 minutes and I still hadn't gotten a live person. Anyone out there who's been successful at this?
Have I used the right procedure? Does filing the 639 with all the proper requirements and documents get me the certified copies?
Thanks.
Anonymous

Forms

Postby giovanni » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:29 pm

Cara,

If you sent the paperwork to the wrong place they will send it back to you and tell you where to send it. That happened to me and they did it right away. Also, be prepared to wait almost a year before you receive a reply, I had to wait 10 months and most people wait between 7-12 months for a reply.
giovanni

Return to Naturalization