Will Death Certificate in Italy indicate citizenship?

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Will Death Certificate in Italy indicate citizenship?

Postby Anonymous » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:39 pm

My great-grandfather was born in Italy. He came to the US and had my grandfather here. He moved back to Italy where my great-grandfather died. Will his death certificate state that he was Italian at death?

I don't think he ever naturalized. I know he filled his initial papers. Will the consulate in NY except his death certificate as proof that he did not naturalize?
Anonymous

Postby italamelle » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:08 pm

I am in pretty much the same situation. My great grandfather came to the US with his new bride, had my grandfather here and, shortly thereafter, went back to Italy and never returned to the US. He died in Italy. I spoke with the Consulate in my area and they told me I need to prove that my great grandfather did not become a US citizen before my grandfather was born and to do that I need to get a letter from the INS (whatever it is called now) stating that they have no record for my great grandfather's naturalization. In other words, my great grandfather's death certificate from Italy isn't enough. What you need to show them is that your great grandfather had your grandfather BEFORE (Naturalization papers dated after birth of your grandfather, if he naturalized at all) or WITHOUT EVER (no record of naturalization for your great grandfather) becoming a US citizen. Check with your area Consulate though, they may want specific info stated in the letter from INS other than just that they have no record for so-and-so.
italamelle

Return to Naturalization