NARA Letter

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

NARA Letter

Postby Jack » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:22 pm

I just contacted the National Archives in Boston regarding a "No Records" letter. In your experiences, what documents does NARA provide if they don't find records? The man I spoke with said to fax them the information regarding the person in question, they'll look through the indexes and write me a letter saying that after searching the information provided, they found no records. I asked if it was certified, and he said no. He said they don’t do that.

However, when I contacted Italiamerica regarding the search they do, she said "If no record is found we will supply the following: Certified letters from Homeland Security, National Archives and the county court."

I contacted her again to ask whether that was from the National Archives in Boston or D.C. and she said D.C.

So do I need a certified copy from regional NARA, or is a non-certified copy from them all that is expected by the consulate?

Jack
Jack

Postby teggiano77 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:40 am

I had to do the same thing. I got "no records" letters from NARA in the three places that my GG lived while in the states........NY, San Fran. and LA. I had them do a search of his real name and his more american name...Luigi and Louis. So I got the letters, took them to a notary and had them notarized. On the documents pertaining to citizenship or naturalization of the Italian ancestor, you do not need to get those apostilled. So I submitted those letters with a certified copy of the 1900 US census from NARA that listed my GG's citizenship status as "AL" meaning alien and that was good enough for the citizenship officer.

Good luck!
teggiano77

Postby penguindump » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:27 pm

Teggiano, did your consulate not require a No Records statement from USCIS? I have a no records statement from SF NARA, the Superior County Court in the County my great-grandfather lived in from immigration to death, and the census records that are sealed from NARA showing him as an AL.

I'm still waiting on my USCIS "No Records" letter... since they sent me naturalization records on the wrong individual 17 months later. SF Consulate told me to bring it in when I get it.
penguindump

Postby teggiano77 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:11 pm

Hi there,

I did not require a "no records" letter from USCIS because my GG died in 1903. USCIS only has records from 1906 and on so in my case there is nothing I could get from USCIS. I did however, submit a letter with my documents from USCIS stating that they only have records from 1906 on just so the consulate is clear on that. She accepted it, so basically, all I submitted were the "no records" letters from NARA in each place of residence for my GG and then the certified 1900 census in which his status is marked "AL".
teggiano77

Postby penguindump » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:27 pm

I see!
penguindump

Postby Jack » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:47 pm

How did you have the documents notarized? Doesn't the notary have to be present as the person is signing it?
Jack

Postby flproject13 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:23 pm

For Apostilles in Massachusetts,
http://www.sec.state.ma.us/pre/precom/comidx.htm
flproject13

Postby peggymckee » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:28 am

I have the same question as Jack. The apostille certifies that the notary's signature & stamp are valid. But notary certifies that the signature is valid.

Did you sign them yourself as being a true copy of what you received?

Many thanks, Peggy M
peggymckee

Return to Naturalization