Naturalization Certificate Question

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Naturalization Certificate Question

Postby guest » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:00 pm

I have two questions. First, I see a lot of people talk about the Certificate of Naturalization. I am assuming this is the document titles "Certificate of Citizenship", right? Second, there are two dates of this form. First is the date that refers to a court date (which I assume means an official meeting where all the necessary documents were presented), and the second is the actual date when they say "the seal of the court is hereunto affixed" (this is at the bottom). Is the "seal" date what is referred to as the naturalization date?

Thanks.

Certificate of Citizenship

Postby quest » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:09 pm

I have dug a little deeper and I am very confused. Why would my grandfather have this document? This doucment is for people who already had citizenship, like someone whose parents were US citizens but was born abroad (like most of the people here). This isn't the case though as all my relatieves are from Italy, did they hand out the document in place of the Certificate of Naturalization? As long as it is dated after the birth of my father will it matter? In a sense then my grandfather was a dual citizen too. Has anyone had this scenerio?
quest

Return to Naturalization