Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel


Postby teggiano1977 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:05 pm

You have to have each NARA office in the jurisdiction in which your ancestor ever lived search for records of naturalization. There records are divided by region. So you can't have one office do a name search for the whole US. This is of course for naturalization records prior to 1906. After 1906 you have to have the USINS search. You can email the appropriate offices your ancestor's information - date of birth, any nicknames, etc.. and your contact information. Tell then this is for dual citizenship. They will contact you to get credit card information. In my case my great-grandfather died in 1903. He live in New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles. I emailed the NARA offices in New York, San Bruno, CA and Laguna Niguel, CA. They perforned a search and sent me a letter of "no record" of naturalization. You may have to get a certified copy of a census as well. Most of them gave out citizenship status information. Any NARA office can get you a certified copy of the appropriate census in which your ancestor is listed.

Hope this helps.

Return to Naturalization

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest