Certification of Nonexistence ! Must read!

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

Certification of Nonexistence ! Must read!

Postby Anonymous » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:37 pm

First off to get a Certification of Nonexistence you have to apply to

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services ATTN: Records Services Branch, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. 4th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20529.

The Lee’s Summit, MO office is only for ones that have records, they do not deal with non-existence. They only will tell you they have no records.

I have a question, when you ask for Certification of Nonexistence do you need the Form G639 or not? Do you also need death certificate? If someone has received the Certification of Nonexistence can they please let me know the process, and time frame. thanks.
Anonymous

Postby Em » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:47 pm

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:43 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check on this:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm

At the bottom of this page, you will find this statement:

Certifications: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record involves an agency decision. The Office of Records Management prepares this documentation. Requests for this service should be addressed to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services ATTN: Records Services Branch, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. 4th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20529.

As you can see, the instructions are unclear. If you cannot reach them by telephone, you may want to try writing a letter explaining your situation. That may be all you need, but I would enclose a completed Form G-639 as well. You might want to state in your letter that you are enclosing this form to be used if it is necessary. This way you are covering all your bases.

It's amazing how complicated all of this can become.
Em

Postby Em » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:53 pm

I did forget to mention that it is likely you will need some proof of death because this is requested on G-639. It need not be an actual certificate; they seem flexible about the type of proof you need offer (an obituary will work).

Although I have not gone through this process, my guess is that this will take some time. They will not send you a certificate of nonexistence unless they are sure the papers do not exist. They take forever to supply a Certificate of Naturalization when you have all the information. When they have to do a thorough search without such information, it would probably take longer.

Again, I have not gone through this process; I'm just making a guess based on what I've read. Good luck.
Em

Postby Anonymous » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:39 pm

I called the Washington Office, and they told me I dont need any forms, just a letter, and some other doucments. They said it will take about 30 days. They always say it can be expideted if it is needed, for extrodinary circumstances.

I sent a letter today including a Census Record, Death Certificate, Copy of my Passport, and US DOJ Singnature Form. I also included a cover letter, with a page of info on my greatgrandfather, his wife, his kids, where he lived in the USA, where he arrived, his SSN, his death and place, I sent it over night with delivery confirmation, i told them i needed it by my appointment in June. So, maybe they will see I need it soon, and speed up the process. I they have to do is type in the info, and do a search and send me a piece of paper, seems quite easy??? I plan on sending the same info to them every 30 days to them by mail, and making a call to check on it every 2 weeks. It cant hurt.
Anonymous

Postby Em » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:02 pm

Wow!! You didn't leave anything out. Good luck.
Em

Postby CJR » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:34 pm

I replied to a similar question in the "Documents" forum - about five months start to finish.
CJR

Postby teggiano77 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:35 pm

What about for ancestors who died before 1906. I was told that the USINS does not have records before 1906, and to go to the National Archives, which I did and got a letter of no record of naturalization from them. Should I pursue getting a record of non-existance or no record of naturalization with USINS?

Thanks!!
teggiano77

No record letter

Postby bklaw » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:40 pm

I suggest everyone check with the local consulate about the requirements for a no records letter. Prior to 1906 anyone could walk into any court (even traffic court) and become a citizen after waiting the five year period. Because of this, sometimes the local authority may have a record of the naturalization.

In my case, I searched NARA and found no records. They suggested I search the local county archives. I found again no records. I was shocked when they told me they could issue a no record letter on the spot and certify it for 9 bucks. I figured I might as well get it because I remembered reading sometimes the Consulate requires a letter from DC as well as the local authority.

After I visited the Consulate, the officer looked at the letter and said it was sufficient, to my utter shock. It is simply a xeroxed form letter where the woman wrote in my ascendant's name and birthdate with a ball point pen, made a mistake, liquid papered it, and continued. It looks like something I could have written myself. Although it is certified and stamped. All of this took about half an hour. I say this because there is a lot of information the consulate appear to post regarding what they need; however, they know record-keeping was not always so exact as it is today. Thus, they do seem willing to accept other documentation when confronted with it. It also seems the more documentation you have, the more willing they are to accept minor errors and the like.

BK
bklaw

NARA

Postby Joe Diorio » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:12 am

can the NARA office in Philadelphia issue a certified Non Existence letter?
Joe Diorio

Re: NARA

Postby ejd » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Joe Diorio wrote:can the NARA office in Philadelphia issue a certified Non Existence letter?

no
ejd

Return to Naturalization