naturalization certificate

Determine if an ancestor was ever naturalized and, if so, discuss your consulate's requirements for proving this.

Moderator: Daniel

naturalization certificate

Postby JM » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:50 am

Good morning all,
I got all the certified papers from my grandfathers naturalization from the County court of Richmond, (NY), except the actual certificate. Fortunately, my cousin has the actual certificate and will let me borrow it provided I return it to her. I understand the consulates don't keep the nat. cert. I do want to obtain a copy of the actual certificate for my own. Do I go thru NARA or USICS to get a copy. The court sent me a certified packet that included my grandfathers petition, oath of allegience, naturalization certificate number, etc but not the actual certificate.

Thanks for your help,
JM in FL
JM

Postby ALP70 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:28 pm

The court/NARA/USCIS don't keep a copy of the actual certificate; just the declaration, petition and oath as I understand it. The person granted citizenship receives a certificate to "commemorate" it in a way.

All you need to present the consulate with is the declaration, petition and oath. What the consulate really looks at is just the Oath and what date it has on it and whether it was granted to denied.

You already have everything you need for dual citizenship. :wink: But if you want a copy for genealogical purposes/heirloom I would just make a copy of the certificate from your cousin.
ALP70

Postby JM » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:02 pm

YEAH, a piece of good news.

Thanks,
JM
JM

Return to Naturalization